You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Hardest section on OAT
Started by RLK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
RLK said:For me the hardest section was the QR section. Do a lot of people have trouble with this?
I heard O Chem was supposed to be one of the hardest, but somehow that was my best subject the first time I took the OAT.
the QR material wasn't too difficult. however, i and many others felt rushed because of the short amount of time given. i remember filling a whole column of C's when only a minute remained. i figured everyone probably had trouble with time, because even though i guessed on the last few questions, i still ended up with a pretty decent QR score.
I think its very individual. Overall people agree that QR is the hardest section. But for me that was the 2nd highest score (exceeded only by RC). In my practice exams my best section was orgo consistently but on the real thing, it was my lowerst score 😱 If you're asking this because you are preparing for the OAT, the best advice is to get your hands on as many practice exams as possible and practice, practice, practice and then practice some more. I used DAT and PCAT exams as well to practice everything except physics.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is just orgo 1 on the OAT, or are there Orgo 2 concepts as well?
scraders said:the QR material wasn't too difficult. however, i and many others felt rushed because of the short amount of time given. i remember filling a whole column of C's when only a minute remained. i figured everyone probably had trouble with time, because even though i guessed on the last few questions, i still ended up with a pretty decent QR score.
HAHA, that's exactly what happened to me too, I was way short on time and I filled in a row random choices with a couple minutes left. That section really had me sweating, but I'm not very good with math, so other people may have found that section to be a breeze.
I thought the organic chemistry part was the hardest, I think I might have just drawn a blank at the moment, but everything just looked so foreign to me even though I did well in my organic chemistry courses. Not sure what happened there.
PreOptMegs said:Is just orgo 1 on the OAT, or are there Orgo 2 concepts as well?
There were some orgo 2 concepts on the test, at least in the orgo 2 class I had. There were a lot of reactions that came from orgo 2. So, if you could get a list of reactions or a flash card set listing reactions you wouldn't necessarily need to have the orgo 2 class to do well on the OAT, but I would recommend taking org. 2 anyhow. One thing that irked me about the organic section was the IR spectrum stuff, I didn't think that stuff would be on it.
RC was the hardest section for me with a score of 320. I only finished the first 2 passages and skimmed the last passage. I know of no one who finished the entire QR section which is probaly why you can miss up to 8 problems and still get a 400 in QR (according to the raw score-standard score conversions)
Katalio said:For me RC = hardest (300) =( got wasted totally!
QR suprisingly was my highest (400)
Haha, I was the complete opposite, but I think generally it's either one or the other of these two sections that people find the hardest. Both sections really pressure you with time.
As for me, RC is the hardest too and OCHEM is the easiest since I got 390Katalio said:For me RC = hardest (300) =( got wasted totally!
QR suprisingly was my highest (400)
RLK said:wow 300 was your lowest. you must be a genius.
There are a lot of geniuses out there
Like said earlier, individualized. The hardest for me was the QR, I don't remember what I made on it. But I got a 400 on the RC!!! (I thought it was a breeze)
I should have practiced more on the reading comp part. I thought the passages and questions were easy, I just didn't have enough time to answer them all. It seemed like a lot of it was just picking straight forward facts right out of the passages. I just wish it was shorter. It definately favors really fast readers.sco1styear said:Like said earlier, individualized. The hardest for me was the QR, I don't remember what I made on it. But I got a 400 on the RC!!! (I thought it was a breeze)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 176
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 213
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 350
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 99