cqn_htx

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
"Hardin-Simmons University-Physical Therapy is committed to accepting and mentoring students engaged in "Service" & "Leadership" activities. Specifically state how you have "served others" AND what "leadership" roles you have had over the last 3 years. Please note the organization/activity you worked with, your role (Ex: team member/volunteer, treasurer, etc), specific start-stop dates, and number of hours involved. Bulleted points for each activity are acceptable. Please total your volunteer hours at the bottom of the list."

Anyone else working on this essay? The prompt doesn't indicate if we should give a brief description of our volunteer/service roles, so I was wondering if that's just implied? And would observation hours also count as the service/leadership volunteer hours that need to be totaled??

beyoutiful_sunshine

2+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2015
Huntsville, Tx
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I doubt this is an actual essay. It sounds more like, basically, they want you to follow the instructions they gave you. List your volunteering and leadership experiences, start and end dates and number of hours. You can format this a little bit like a resume and you can use the extra-curricular section of your PTCAS app to help you, since it basically is what they are asking.

For observation hours, I wouldn't put them if you went there as an observer. For instance, if you volunteered at an hospital, cleaning or doing other things while getting observation hours then yes it would double dip but otherwise, it wouldn't count. Just think: community service, roles in campus organizations, that kind of things.

Since this is part of the supplemental questions, I would elaborate on what you did, using bullets since they said you could. But this is not an essay. You can also look at the character limit for that question on PTCAS: is it more around 1200? 4500? The character limit can give you an idea of how much they want you to elaborate.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: cqn_htx
OP
C

cqn_htx

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I doubt this is an actual essay. It sounds more like, basically, they want you to follow the instructions they gave you. List your volunteering and leadership experiences, start and end dates and number of hours. You can format this a little bit like a resume and you can use the extra-curricular section of your PTCAS app to help you, since it basically is what they are asking.

For observation hours, I wouldn't put them if you went there as an observer. For instance, if you volunteered at an hospital, cleaning or doing other things while getting observation hours then yes it would double dip but otherwise, it wouldn't count. Just think: community service, roles in campus organizations, that kind of things.

Since this is part of the supplemental questions, I would elaborate on what you did, using bullets since they said you could. But this is not an essay. You can also look at the character limit for that question on PTCAS: is it more around 1200? 4500? The character limit can give you an idea of how much they want you to elaborate.

Hope this helps!
Hey! Yes I've listed everything in bullets (almost straight off my resume). The character limit is 4500 so that threw me off since I barely had 1000 before adding some descriptions. Thanks for the clarification!