Hardy-Weinberg Principle

Started by ManzRDH
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ManzRDH

Dinene RDH, BA
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi can some explain the Hardy-weinberg principle to me. I was reading over my older bio book-it's been a while since I took bio)
here is the example:

population of 100 cats; 84 are black 16 are white

what are the values for each allele and how did you get the value?

Thanks

Dinene RDH, BA 🙂
 
ManzRDH said:
Hi can some explain the Hardy-weinberg principle to me. I was reading over my older bio book-it's been a while since I took bio)
here is the example:

population of 100 cats; 84 are black 16 are white

what are the values for each allele and how did you get the value?

Thanks

Dinene RDH, BA 🙂

Hope this makes sense, and I could be wrong 🙂

#define
Black = BB, Bb
White= bb
q^2+2pq+p^2=1
p+q=1
-----------------

P2^2=white (homo res)
so...
root(16/100) = .4 = p allete
1-.4=.6 = q allele

To for a step farther, as some questions might ask:

q^2 = .36 <--- Homozygo Dom Freq
2pq = .48 <---Hertozyg Freq
q^2 = .16 <---Homozyg Res freq
___________
= 1 so that checks