Harvard elective application notification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Takotsubo99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I sent an application to Harvard for an elective this upcoming summer. They should have received it about 4 weeks ago and I still have not heard anything from them. I called the visiting elective office today and they said they couldn't find my application. Has this happened to anyone before? I sent it registered delivery and the last recorded place the package was in was a Boston post office.

Any similar stories? Should I be concerned?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

That blows, but you probably should have kept better track to make sure the letter was delivered when it was supposed to get there. I would try to resend it and stay on top of things this time, if possible.

Well I had a different but equally horrible time dealing with that office.

I had applied for an away elective. Heard nothing for months. Thought about contacting their office but of course it says on the application "please do not inquire about the status of your application". I assume something got screwed up, or I simply didn't get the elective I wanted, applied for an elective elsewhere for a different block, scheduled it, and threw a home rotation in my original away slot. 2 weeks before my Harvard away was initially supposed to start, I figured I would call them to see what happened. They tell me that I am scheduled to start my elective at Brigham in 2 weeks. I explain that I have received no correspondence from them whatsoever. Eventually we determine that my e-mail address was entered in their system wrong. I say here is my correct e-mail can you send me the information now. She tells me that she entered my correct e-mail but I need to send an e-mail asking for the paperwork to be sent and they will send it ASAP. I send the e-mail and hear nothing for a couple days. I call again tell them I still haven't received any paperwork, they again say send an e-mail asking for the paperwork and they will get it to me ASAP. Again a few days go by, now a week before I am scheduled to start the rotation. I call and say I have gotten no information and I am supposed to start this rotation in 1 week, I am sorry but I have to cancel the rotation. They say "O.K. but send an e-mail telling us you are cancelling the rotation."

Members don't see this ad :)
When I called them last week to inquire about applications, they said that they're only receiving the new application this past Wednesday. So you may have applied using the old application, which is probably no good.
Here's the website for the updated app:
http://ecommons.med.harvard.edu/org.asp?exclerk

Hello Everyone,

I sent an application to Harvard for an elective this upcoming summer. They should have received it about 4 weeks ago and I still have not heard anything from them. I called the visiting elective office today and they said they couldn't find my application. Has this happened to anyone before? I sent it registered delivery and the last recorded place the package was in was a Boston post office.

Any similar stories? Should I be concerned?

Thanks

I didn't hear back from the HMS office until about ~4 weeks before my away month started. So, not a word for months after sending in the application/lab titers/background check/etc etc. I'm guessing the process is probably pretty similar this year. Good luck!!

Dear all,

I have a question regarding Harvard application. My school is not included in their list, even though I e-mail them to add my school to the list (this is what their website told me to do) they reject to do that by just saying we are unable to do that right now. Have you guys encountered this kind of problem? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!