Harvard Extension 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosyblack

Reaction score
Hello,

I just found out I was accepted to Harvard Extension this upcoming term and am still in the process of trying to decide whether or not to accept this offer. I am in the Southwest US so it would be quite a move for me to make. Also I begin an online Masters in Sacred Theology program in May and wondering if doing that on top of HES and a part-time job would be too much stress for me (I plan on using this degree in conjunction with a medical degree). I would love to have a full time job while attending HES but I have a dog and in order to take care of him properly I'm not sure a full time job would be possible in addition to all of my other responsibilities. Does funding myself through a part-time job and financial aid alone while attending HES seem feasible? Or would I be setting myself up for pain? For those of you who have been through HES or are currently in it I would love to hear your thoughts so I can make a better informed decision regarding the offer. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I am in the same boat as you. I was accepted to Harvard and Meredith and I am also looking for answers and advice.

Sounds like you're spreading yourself too thin. If your schedule is a full time job, 2 HES classes, and an online masters in addition to taking care of a dog, you better have a really really strong academic background and a lot of stamina.

Without knowing more about your background, I'd say it's too much. Some find HES classes challenging, and at the very least they're time consuming.

@NeeBeeDr I saw your post, but it was not detailed vis-a-vis your background, goals, preconceptions about those two programs. I always like to see a Pros and Cons list to see that the OP actually has done some research, and it gives a glimpse into their priorities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Judging from what a friend (who is currently in the program) has shown me, I think if your job is fairly low-key (i.e. a job where you don't have to "take work home" with you or are expected to put in more than your 9-5), doing classes shouldn't be horrible.

I know a few people in that program doing full time + 2 classes. Note, just because it's doable for some does not mean it's doable for everyone. I also know people in the program just taking 2 classes and struggling (B's and C's in the exam). Background and expectations really factor in, for example some people are content with a B+ and would say that getting good grades is not too bad, while others hope for a solid A and while they have an A- would say that it's challenging. It's really hard to standardize across a diverse group, which HES accepts.
A better gauge is that almost everyone (unless you've already taken those subjects) will need to spend at least 10-15 hours total per class per week (in and out of class). You can estimate time commitments accordingly. Also keep in mind that the first year (chem and physics) are easier than the second (bio, bio/chem, orgo).

Reactions: 1 users
How soon after your application did you hear back? I'm still waiting to hear back on mine, but should I get accepted (fingers crossed) I plan on working a full time job and attending 2 classes a semester, with nothing else going on. Judging from what a friend (who is currently in the program) has shown me, I think if your job is fairly low-key (i.e. a job where you don't have to "take work home" with you or are expected to put in more than your 9-5), doing classes shouldn't be horrible.

I received an e-mail confirmation that all my application materials had been received on March 18th and in the e-mail said they would reach a decision within 2-4 weeks. My acceptance letter is dated April 4th so it took about 3 weeks for me to receive notice of acceptance. Yeah I think you're right, I will probably stick to a part-time job for at least the beginning though so I get a hang of the time management first and probably only enroll in one class at a time for my Master's program during the Fall and Spring semesters so as to not overwhelm myself. Good luck, I hope you hear back on your admissions decision soon!

Hello!

I am currently finishing up a DIY post bacc at HES. I work full time, live on my own.

I have only taken upper level bio courses, about 2 a semester and can recommend which classes to avoid/which are great.

Two classes at a time is very doable, but 3 was too much for me to handle.

Hello!

I am currently finishing up a DIY post bacc at HES. I work full time, live on my own.

I have only taken upper level bio courses, about 2 a semester and can recommend which classes to avoid/which are great.

Two classes at a time is very doable, but 3 was too much for me to handle.

Have you taken a Genetics, Human Anatomy and Physiology, Immunology, or Biostatistics course? If so can you recommend any of them?

Have you taken a Genetics, Human Anatomy and Physiology, Immunology, or Biostatistics course? If so can you recommend any of them?

Of those you listed, I have taken Immunology w/ Gadjeva.
Its a great class where you will learn a lot of material.
It might seem overwhelming at first, but section helps specify what you need to know.

I'll PM you a review of all the HES classes I took.

Also, If you can get a job at Harvard, you get significantly reduced tuition ( under $100 a class i think) after a 3 month probationary period.

Last edited:
Hello,

I just found out I was accepted to Harvard Extension this upcoming term and am still in the process of trying to decide whether or not to accept this offer. I am in the Southwest US so it would be quite a move for me to make. Also I begin an online Masters in Sacred Theology program in May and wondering if doing that on top of HES and a part-time job would be too much stress for me (I plan on using this degree in conjunction with a medical degree). I would love to have a full time job while attending HES but I have a dog and in order to take care of him properly I'm not sure a full time job would be possible in addition to all of my other responsibilities. Does funding myself through a part-time job and financial aid alone while attending HES seem feasible? Or would I be setting myself up for pain? For those of you who have been through HES or are currently in it I would love to hear your thoughts so I can make a better informed decision regarding the offer. Thanks in advance!

Hi! I also got accepted to the HES post bacc program for Fall. I am a nurse practitioner with my doctorate in nursing. My GPA was 3.8 undergrad and 4.0 for my graduate and doctoral courses. I also am interested in working while in this program.

Would you guys suggest just working on the weekends? I read that most of the courses are at night. Would a week day job be doable as well?

Thanks

Hi! I also got accepted to the HES post bacc program for Fall. I am a nurse practitioner with my doctorate in nursing. My GPA was 3.8 undergrad and 4.0 for my graduate and doctoral courses. I also am interested in working while in this program.

Would you guys suggest just working on the weekends? I read that most of the courses are at night. Would a week day job be doable as well?

Thanks
Don't take a job without a schedule where you're all but certain of arriving on campus safely before 5:30 or 6 (and exams will have hard starts very shortly after the scheduled start of class). Between Boston and Cambridge rush hour traffic, reliability and network limitations of public transit, and Harvard not being built as a commuter campus, things can be tight. Many working HES students are research assistants at major Boston medical institutions, and their supervisors are cool that they clock out when they need to. Pay for these positions will be modest.