Harvard Extension Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny456

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to start the Post-baccalaureate program at Harvard. The only thing is that I am having difficulty in deciding a schedule. Here's what I am considering.

Summer 05 Chem I & II
Fall 05 Bio, Orgo, and Physics
Summer 06 Take the MCAT and Apply for Fall 07

My only concern is that will I be able to handle three science classes? Will I be at a disadvantage if I apply in August? I want to do the program in a year, because I want to start medical school in two years and not three.
I talked to the program director he said there were students who have done the same thing and made it (take three science classes). Is there anyone on this forum who is currently in the program or has done it who can share their thoughts?

He did discouraged me from taking physics in the summer and studying for the MCAT so far he said it's been his experience that students end up not taking the MCAT in August because they didn't have time to study.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
Check out the Official HES 2004 Thread. It's buried somewhere on this forum a couple pages back. From what I remember from the thread, most people say that something like your schedule is possible and doable, if you don't work full-time and aren't interested in having much of a social life. However, I think most people would advise against it, students and profs/HES advisors included.

Also, I don't think the 2005 course schedule is out yet, so you may not even be able to take bio, orgo and physics all at the same time, since all the classes are in the evenings. I was on the HES website looking into some classes for Fall 05 for a friend of mine and there is nothing posted. The only thing up now is the Fall 04 schedule. If you do have the Fall 05 course listings, let me know where you got it. I'd be interested in taking a look.

sunny456 said:
I am going to start the Post-baccalaureate program at Harvard. The only thing is that I am having difficulty in deciding a schedule. Here's what I am considering.

Summer 05 Chem I & II
Fall 05 Bio, Orgo, and Physics
Summer 06 Take the MCAT and Apply for Fall 07

My only concern is that will I be able to handle three science classes? Will I be at a disadvantage if I apply in August? I want to do the program in a year, because I want to start medical school in two years and not three.
I talked to the program director he said there were students who have done the same thing and made it (take three science classes). Is there anyone on this forum who is currently in the program or has done it who can share their thoughts?

He did discouraged me from taking physics in the summer and studying for the MCAT so far he said it's been his experience that students end up not taking the MCAT in August because they didn't have time to study.

PineappleGirl said:
I think most people would advise against it, students and profs/HES advisors included.

Also, I don't think the 2005 course schedule is out yet.

thats my understanding, its geared to taking the mcats asap already, youd just be spinnin your wheels in many ways, unless youre a genius, but the fact that youre asking points toward the standard program, i hope my best is good enough to warrant sponsorship

its not, i just talked to them this mornin, july or august, mid august is the beginning of registration

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/2004-05/register/calendar.jsp