Harvard Extension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psycho-matic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I have completed most of my med-school prereqs but have a low GPA and some not so good grades in many of my classes, would doing Harvard's program help me by retaking these prereqs, or would it be better to take more upper-level undergrad courses? Would Harvard's program help me get into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

The HEC program is not accepting anyone under a 2.7 GPA.

If I have completed most of my med-school prereqs but have a low GPA and some not so good grades in many of my classes, would doing Harvard's program help me by retaking these prereqs, or would it be better to take more upper-level undergrad courses? Would Harvard's program help me get into medical school?

Short answer is yes. You are free to select upper level courses as a long as they are approved under the program, and can qualify for sponsorship if you fulfill the program requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought it was open admissions.

I'm pretty sure that there is not a GPA requirement for admissions; however, the lower your GPA, the more credits you need to earn sponsorships. You also need a 30+ MCAT score to earn sponsorship if your GPA is low.

Harvard Extension School (HES) and the Health Careers Program (HCP) have different standards/qualifications. The courses are open enrollment and are taken through HES. HCP provides sponsorship and is affiliated with HES. If HCP does not believe that they can offer you sponsorship, they will not accept you. Hope that helps.

Harvard Extension School (HES) and the Health Careers Program (HCP) have different standards/qualifications. The courses are open enrollment and are taken through HES. HCP provides sponsorship and is affiliated with HES. If HCP does not believe that they can offer you sponsorship, they will not accept you. Hope that helps.

and if HCP won't accept me, there's no point in going to the HES, right? It would be no different than taking classes somewhere else?

HCP provides you with sponsorship in the form of a committee letter. You certainly may take courses at HES and request recommendations from the Professors. You'll need to figure out how to have them held, so that they won't think you've seen them. I'm not familiar with that avenue, but I'm sure there is some entity out there that does it (Virtualevals or something like that). The quality of the instruction is very good and you will learn an awful lot if you work hard. Your decision whether or not to begin courses at HES is dependant on a number of factors. A lot of folks recommend retaking your pre-reqs if your grades are low in them and perhaps considering an SMP. If HCP will not accept you, I personally would not uproot my life to specifically go to HES . . . but that is me. You need to sit down and make an honest assessment of where you are and what needs to be done to get where you want to be. If HCP has not accepted you, I would try to set up an appointment with either Owen or Dr. Fixsen and get a better sense of their reasoning.

Good luck.