Harvard Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viciouz

WesternU 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys got a letter from Harvard Med School Office of Recruitment & Matriculation Affairs, and I was wondering if this letter had any significance to it. I didn't apply to harvard because I know my numbers aren't that great.

The Letter says I was selected from the "Association of American Medical College's Medical Minority Applicant Registry" and that I should apply to Harvard, but I never thought East Indians were considered Minority.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys got a letter from Harvard Med School Office of Recruitment & Matriculation Affairs, and I was wondering if this letter had any significance to it. I didn't apply to harvard because I know my numbers aren't that great.

The Letter says I was selected from the "Association of American Medical College's Medical Minority Applicant Registry" and that I should apply to Harvard, but I never thought East Indians were considered Minority.

No, unfortunately it has no significance... it's just one of those letters they send out to get as many people to apply as possible.

There was something else that prompted Harvard to send you the invite apart from ethnicity - perhaps decent MCAT scores? They must have run a query against the AMSAR database and MCAT results to short-list you. Else all east Indians must be getting the same letter!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the same letter and I'm also East Indian

I got the letter and then an interview invite 10 days later.

Dude! I thought being Indian was like the opposite of URM for areas of medicine and engineering and etc. This is good news. Did you guys specifically indicate that you were Indian on your applications?

Dude! I thought being Indian was like the opposite of URM for areas of medicine and engineering and etc. This is good news. Did you guys specifically indicate that you were Indian on your applications?

Yes I did.

Pay no attention to it.

File it under "false hope" and try to move on. You cant swing a stick in a medical school without hitting three or four east indians, you'll never be URM.

I figured as much, but any reason they sent it to us, I'd like to explain to my parents why I am being sent a false hope. Basically because they really want me to do this and got the letter instead of me.

Check this out viciouz...

Gat a low score first MCAT.............No apply to my school letters
Got a second somewhat score.........Like 2 apply to my school letters

Better score third time around........Basically my garage is full of those letters

And I have already applied and sent secondaries to more than half of those schools. My advice.... same ol' junk and mass mail.

Thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't passing up a good opportunity.

Do you really want to go to school there? If the answer is yes then you should apply. After all, if you do get rejected then all you have really wasted was a little time and the application fee. I would do it, if I were you.