Harvard Medical School chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopetocure2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you have too little clinical/hospital volunteering and a low sGPA and you will have trouble. But you should be able to get in somewhere.

I have volunteered a good amount in hospitals and I have had internships with physicians. Will a good MCAT make up for a low sGPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people say numbers aren't everything. However, I am inclined to say that, at this point, it all depends on your MCAT. A 36+ would give you a waaaay higher chance at getting an interview than a 30 (which is what I got).

Other than that your EC's, research, and leaderships look fine. You may look into getting a little bit more clinical experience though. Variety in shadowing and volunteering for a long period of time (not just a couple of months) are both vital to your application.

trolling_for_compliments.jpg

Greetings everyone, I was just wondering what you think about my chances of getting an interview to Harvard Medical School or other top 25 schools?

Stats:

-MCAT: Hopefully 36+
-GPA: 3.76 CGPA; 3.61 SGPA
-Majors: Biomedical Engineering Physics; Chemistry

-I started college as a full time student at age 16
-University Honors Program
-Presidents list 4 times (4.0 GPA) (I had mono and felt sick for about a year which is why my GPA resulted in a 3.76)
-Chemistry Departmental Award (Given to one student in the department for exceptional work in Chemistry)

-FAA Certificated Flight Instructor (I teach people how to fly single engine airplanes)
-FAA Commercial Pilot Certificate (I have flown airplanes since the age of 14)

-Stem Cell Retina Regeneration Research: Possible patent pending for a device I created

-Senator on Student Government for 2 years
-Academic Policy Committee Student Representative for the University
-Completed 2 Marathon (26.2 Mile) Races
-University Sailing Instructor and Sailing Team Member
-Physics Lab Undergraduate Instructor
-I ran a tutoring service when I was 16 years old at the University to teach calculus to non-traditional older students

-Volunteered at a free clinic during the summer
-Habitat for Humanity
-Physician shadowing
-This spring break I may fly supplies down to South America and volunteer in a hospital

What does everyone think of my chances, and what can I do to improve my chances of getting in?

is there a specific reason you'd like to attend harvard

I don't think you have a chance, here's why. Admissions at Harvard will probably think like this -

A Harvard level student should be able to maintain a 4.0 without much effort, so if this student had mono and lost his/her 4.0, that would mean he/she was putting in full effort before he/she caught mono, which is not the type of person we're looking for.

I agree. The best thing to do would be to stop worrying about Harvard and just worry about selecting a good list of schools you would like and to make sure it is not top heavy. If you start making it top heavy, you could end up being one of those people who make the thread 36+ mcat and no interviews in December because you thought you can ride a test score all the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you went to a top 25 undergrad and obtain a 36+ MCAT, you do have a chance. Otherwise, it could happen, but it's still a lottery between hundreds of others like you.

Here, here! Who else is in favor?

*Hits palet on the judge table*

Here, here I third this motion. Its official, IlDestriero is now the best attending on this site.

*Shifts white colonial wig*

I agree. The best thing to do would be to stop worrying about Harvard and just worry about selecting a good list of schools you would like and to make sure it is not top heavy. If you start making it top heavy, you could end up being one of those people who make the thread 36+ mcat and no interviews in December because you thought you can ride a test score all the way.

If you went to a top 25 undergrad and obtain a 36+ MCAT, you do have a chance. Otherwise, it could happen, but it's still a lottery between hundreds of others like you.

Second the bolded text. Once you take your MCAT you can judge for yourself if you have a better or worse chance at Harvard, or other top schools. For now, create a list of schools for yourself (dream reaches, possible admits, and "safeties") so you have a vague idea. Until then, keep up with those ECs and do well on the test.

Would you think a 36+ interview could give me a chance of an interview at Harvard?
God, stop asking this so much. You've been answered. You'll find out sooner or later. If we say no, will you stop trying as hard? Will it stop you from applying? Jesus, by the looks of it, you'll blow that interview with your needy/irrational attitude.

I think you have a chance because of that experiences you have and qualifications you had,.Harvard School for me is a expensive medical school..if you try there's nothing happen to you,.just try.

Medical CPAP

Last edited:
I like how people's ideals change throughout the process. Right now the OP is so focused on Haaarvard. But if he gets a few early waitlists, his focus will change and he will love to get that first acceptance. I am not saying he won't, he definitely should receive an acceptance and even a few. But first get a couple interviews, then get some kind of an acceptance, and a Harvard interview. And then you can worry about your chances of being one of the lucky to be chosen by HMS. And if not, you'll be fine wherever you go. Even if you get to the HMS interview, you may find it is not even your favorite of the schools at which you interview.

When I saw "Hopefully 36+" I stopped reading. The MCAT is perhaps the most critical component of your application if you are shooting for top schools. First get your MCAT score back (and I'm not saying you can't get higher than a 36, just grounding you in reality) then we'll talk. Otherwise your app looks pretty well rounded, save for the lack of substantial clinical and research experience.