Feb 16, 2010
Status
Hi.

Harvard website says, "At least one (1) letter should be written by a professor who is not in the sciences."

What is the definition of professor in this context? Does the person have to have a Ph.D?

I took an English course, but he only had his masters degree. I don't think he's a Ph.D candidate either... which is very weird?

Can I use this person for my letter?

mipp0

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2008
Status
Depends on the school actually. Some professors actually teach with only a Masters in some colleges, so it's not unheard of. I would think it's OK, but your LOR would definitely not WOW people.

Doctorates for the win.

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Professor as in someone who has PhD and has taught you.

GatorPhD

Moon River!!!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Why don't you email Harvard and ask them?

They might be using "professor" in the colloquial sense as in "a teacher", not the tenure-track, rigorous academic ranking sense.

In my opinion, it's better to have a letter from someone who knows you well and can really comment on your performance in the classroom and about you as a person. I would take one of these over just some random Ph.D. who doesn't know you at all, but because they have a doctorate, they'll do.

You're fooling yourself if you think adcoms can't see through these boiler plate, generic letters written by people who don't really know you. What's going to wow them is a well-written LOR by someone who really knows a lot about you.

For full disclosure, one of my science LORs was written by a guy with a M.S. It didn't seem to hurt any as I was accepted to Harvard...

Write them and ask them.

IMHO,
Gator