Harvard summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicagoryan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just applied to Harvard Extension and it looks like most people start in the Fall. Is it possible to start in the Summer? I was thinking of doing Summer/Fall/Spring/Summer and then being done in just over a year. If you start in the Fall, does it normally take 2 years?

Thanks! Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I just applied to Harvard Extension and it looks like most people start in the Fall. Is it possible to start in the Summer? I was thinking of doing Summer/Fall/Spring/Summer and then being done in just over a year. If you start in the Fall, does it normally take 2 years?

All you have to do is sign up for classes.
An important thing to keep in mind is that summer classes are through Harvard Summer School and not the Extension School, so you will be paying regular rates ($$$).

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, some people take the 1-year route. They take Gen Chem in the summer, then Bio, Orgo and Physics in the academic year. That's a tough route though. Most people I meet (who had no pre-reqs) take 2 years, though some still take Gen Chem in the summer so that they can squeeze Biochem in the second year. I think that's a great idea and wish I had done it.

hey ghostman im really glad you brought up how some people take biochem in the 2nd year.
before i saw your post, i was planning on taking calc at a community college and start HCP in the fall. Now that I saw your post, maybe I should take calc and gen chem during the summer at HCP so I can fit biochem in my second year. Good idea? Doable?

hey ghostman im really glad you brought up how some people take biochem in the 2nd year.
before i saw your post, i was planning on taking calc at a community college and start HCP in the fall. Now that I saw your post, maybe I should take calc and gen chem during the summer at HCP so I can fit biochem in my second year. Good idea? Doable?

I think that sounds like a good idea as long as you can fit the classes into your schedule AND you are certain you can handle it. Gen Chem at Harvard Extension is probably the easiest of the 4 core classes, but that's because the professor is good and not because the topics are necessarily easy. I took AP Calc, so I don't know it is at Harvard Ext. Still, I can't imagine that's a light course load.