Harvard vs Hopkins vs Yale vs UCLA vs WashU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redpanda71

Reaction score
Hello and apologies in advance for this late night indecisive post. I’m having a really tough time deciding on a school and would appreciate any advice!

Harvard
Pros: it’s Harvard. A dream school of mine since forever. Heard it can “open doors” and such. I loved the sense of community in their LMSA and there’s a lot about their program I’m really into. I’ve never been to Boston, but based on what I’ve learned I think I’d really like it. I also like the 1 year preclinical a lot, I’m interested in exploring specialties asap.

Cons: barely gave me any aid even after an appeal (still trying again though). Idk why they are so much more expensive than other need based schools. Looking at paying over 80k a year or 320k total. Yikes.

Hopkins
Pros: also very prestigious. So can also “open doors”?? They gave me great aid, looking at paying only 35k a year. The student body seems collaborative and supportive (at least they stressed this during 2nd look), which is important to me. Also have never been to Baltimore, but it seems like an okay city. I like that the weather is more temperate than Boston, but also Boston seems like a cooler city overall. Grain of salt though as I’ve never been to either city.

Cons: not as excited to live in Baltimore as I would be to live in Boston. A little confused on the happiness/stress levels of students, every student I’ve talked to has said it’s pretty well supported and low stress, but online opinions seem to differ. Also not as into the 1.5 year preclinical, kind of prefer the idea of getting it over with in 1 year.

Yale
Pros: the flexibility seems pretty cool. I unfortunately was not able to make this second look so I feel slightly less informed (planning on watching some recordings soon). Also a great school, although not as highly ranked as Harvard/Hopkins. Students seem happy and less stressed, and I heard you don’t have to take shelf exams? Cost is slightly more than Hopkins, a little over 40k a year.

Cons: would kind of rather be in a bigger city than New Haven. Bit more expensive than Hopkins. Also has 1.5 year preclinical.

UCLA
Pros: the weather! Mountains! Beach! I actually toured this school and got to know current students, super chill vibes and seemed pretty low stress and happy. I was given a full in state tuition scholarship (I’m out of state but can establish residency after a year), so I’d just have to pay CoL which is estimated around 35-40k.

Cons: LA traffic, I really hate traffic. Not as prestigious as Harvard/Hopkins. While I love the weather and nature, I’m not sure I’m into the overall vibe of LA - everything is so far apart! Also would be in the “guinea pig” year with the new curriculum. I also have a friend that had a very poor experience with the administration here.

WashU
Pros: full tuition scholarship! Pretty low CoL around 25k. Cheapest option but not by much. Seems super supportive and very transparent with everything.

Cons: not excited to be in St Louis, visited once years ago for undergrad. I think I’d prefer Boston or Baltimore.

If cost was the same, I would absolutely choose Harvard. Unfortunately, it’s far from the same. Hopkins and Yale have emerged as great contenders, and I see myself swaying that way, but I’m unsure if I should choose the financially logical approach or the full send to Harvard approach. Or maybe the best weather approach. Ultimately, I am hoping to choose a school that has lots of support and good vibes, which has been hard to feel out virtually.

As some background, I’m super interested in global health, but all of these schools have great global health programs. All these schools seem to match well. Not sure where I’d like to do residency, but California or Boston would both be cool. Undecided about specialty. One of my top considerations is Derm, although I could also see myself going into IM or going a more working with nonprofits/ volunteering route regardless of specialty.

Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

45k a year difference between Hopkins and Harvard is huge and from what you’ve said it doesn’t sound like the pros of Harvard are worth that price tag. Hopkins will give you the same opportunities that Harvard will when it comes to matching and global health. Have you reached out to the LMSA chapter there? From what I’ve read it sounds like Harvard and Hopkins are probably your front runners so you have to decide if you think the differences justify 45k/year.

Reactions: 4 users
Unless you want to do MD/MBA I wouldn’t pay full price for Harvard over Hopkins.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd probably narrow it down to Hopkins or UCLA. With lean towards Hopkins.

I'd knock out Harvard for being too expensive, WashU for location, and Yale for the cons you listed.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are choosing between Hopkins and HMS, go with Hopkins. 200k cheaper, not even factoring in the interest, with the same prestige and opportunity to match into any top residency. Personally though I would choose UCLA.

What geo are you from and where do you want to wind up?
A schools home residencies give you an advantage trying to match there.
Use all your metrics but exclude the very small cost difference between choosing from Hopkins, Wash U or UCLA.

If they are giving him a full ride, yes. But it's tough to tell what the cost difference is by the way it's written.
I think you're projecting your own personal beliefs too much onto OP. Not only is it clear from the pros/cons that they don't want to go to WashU (even considering it's the cheapest option), they also outright say at the end that they're leaning towards Hopkins and Yale...which is also clear from the pros/cons imo.

If you care about student happiness and stress levels, you should really consider Yale. Super flexible, no shelf exams during clinical (unless you want to take them, but they're 100% optional), no AOA, most people get honors or high pass in rotations, and a killer match list. Of course, if you think you'd be miserable in New Haven, then go Hopkins. Harvard is probably not worth the extra cost. The other two you seem pretty "meh" about

If you are choosing between Hopkins and HMS, go with Hopkins. 200k cheaper, not even factoring in the interest, with the same prestige and opportunity to match into any top residency. Personally though I would choose UCLA.
I am definitely into the vibes at UCLA and the new 1 year preclinical. It is a bit more expensive than Hopkins though and I’m not sure about how crowded rotations will be due to the new curriculum + being the guinea pig for that in general

If you care about student happiness and stress levels, you should really consider Yale. Super flexible, no shelf exams during clinical (unless you want to take them, but they're 100% optional), no AOA, most people get honors or high pass in rotations, and a killer match list. Of course, if you think you'd be miserable in New Haven, then go Hopkins. Harvard is probably not worth the extra cost. The other two you seem pretty "meh" about
I really wish I had the chance to check out New Haven and Baltimore, I’m having a tough time choosing between them! I definitely am hoping for a place with high student happiness and Yale seems to have that. Hopkins seems to have a “work hard play hard” mentality which I could also vibe with as long as it’s fun and collaborative. I’m considering a competitive specialty like derm and they both seem to match quite well.

What geo are you from and where do you want to wind up?
A schools home residencies give you an advantage trying to match there.
Use all your metrics but exclude the very small cost difference between choosing from Hopkins, Wash U or UCLA.
I’m from the Midwest, but I’d like to wind up on either the east or west coast. Not sure which one to be honest, I’m super into Cali weather and nature but also not into the traffic and how expensive everything is

If they are giving him a full ride, yes. But it's tough to tell what the cost difference is by the way it's written.
WashU gave me full tuition but I would still have to pay cost of living which is around 25k a year. My cheapest option for sure, but Hopkins would not be much more

Just putting this out there, WashU has been my dream school since forever. Totally in love with the city. Currently on the WL. If you feel "meh" about it and the city of St. Louis, then please don't pick it. Go to Harvard/Hopkins/UCLA since that's what you seem to want, especially with the living situation. Please make room for people who actually care about the schools.

Reactions: 2 users
for clarity: I just chose Mayo over Yale. Did not have the offer of Harvard on the table like you do.

however, ten years from now I would hate to look back and think I missed out on my dream school and tell the story of how I put in all that work to get into HMS but didn’t go vs going. You seem really passionate about HMS. You deserve it after all the work you put in. Return on investment at HMS is v high it’ll get u anywhere and everywhere u want to go. Def will make all the loan money back fast - esp w the types of residencies n specialties u can match into at HMS that may not consider u as heavily if u went to a less prestigious school

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users