Harvard vs Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNARNARNA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say that if you are interested in biotech Stanford would be the place to go. Not a Stanford medicine student, but I have quite a bit of experience with the SoM and I can confidently say that students are pretty engaged and close among each other. Also, there are plenty of opportunities to do internships at Genentech or any of the big biotech companies here, or any small ones too.

The weather is truly wonderful, the campus is GORGEOUS and the facilities at the SoM are really nice. The student learning and teaching building is incredible and very fancy/modern/new, there is a really nice student lounge that facilitates socializing, housing is MUCH better than Harvard's, and Stanford just opened an amazing new hospital (seriously, it is incredible go look it up if they didn't showcase it during interviews/2nd look).

Full CoA is also something not to brush off. Full tuition at Harvard would still mean ~80 - 120k in loans for cost of living (depending on how frugal you are), and that can really add up with interests. Going into residency with no loans sounds amazing IMHO. From Stanford you will have no trouble matching back in the east coast or if in the west if you choose to.

Can't go wrong with either one, but full CoA at Stanford would be hard to pass.

Only negatives are that Palo Alto is pretty boring (could be a positive if you don't mind the suburb life), and patient population at the main Stanford hospital is indeed not very diverse (there are opportunities to engage with a more diverse population through the free clinics and doing rotations in Santa Clara IIRC).

Reactions: 1 users
You literally can't go wrong here lol. I'd personally take Stanford because of the money, but if your heart is set on Harvard the COA can easily be paid back and no one would question you for doing it.

This is a question of personal preference. It has nothing to do with career goals since both places will get you where you want to be. If you care about the H-bomb, pick HMS. If you want that Palo Alto weather and Stanford name, pick S.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just hopping in here to say that HMS was my dream school throughout the cycle (sadly rejected post-I), so I'm very jealous of you OP. It's an amazing school, but so is Stanford.

I would really consider the differences in the curriculum (p/f clerkships seem really great and 1-year preclinical is really unique) and location (Stanford's weather probably wins by far lol). Honestly, go wherever you'll be happier.

Stanford, but solely out of being a sucker for West Coast weather. However, support system matters. A huge congratulations, by the way

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Harvard all day
Harvard is known worldwide lol
Most people believe it's the best school on the planet

Stanford is great, but it isn't Harvard

• Dislike