Harvard vs.UConn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingChris

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I was accepted to both and I'm pretty sure at this point that I have made my decision to go to Harvard. However, I just wanted to get some feedback on this as it just wasn't the easiest decision to make as many factors have come into play.

Here's my story; I grew up in CT all my life, attended UConn undergard and received a scholarship to UConn Dental. My family and girlfriend of 3 yrs live in CT. On the other hand, I really feel that Harvard is the best school for me as their philosophy on dentistry is dead center with mine, and the strong pbl curriculum is def what I want! I loved the facilities, the students, the resources and the chance to get away from CT and live in Boston! I know it's a little bit more money but as many have told me that shouldnt be a deciding factor. I am interested in OMFS, but have a very open mind. I feel that Harvard will offer me the environment and the resources that will really help me not only succeed but explore my own interests.

However, both UConn and Harvard are very competetive schools, my family is closer to UConn and it is cheaper. I have read some rather negative things about UConn on sdn and heard some dreaded stories from students, but the students at Harvard seemed so relaxed about things and comfortable there. I really feel that I have made the best decision to go to Harvard, but I just wanted to know what you all think about this, not that it will necessarily change my mind, but since it is such a big decision. I also wanted to know how feasable it would be to have a long distance relationship from CT to Boston. Oh and she may be attending UConn medical school at the same time. (that reminds me, another thing that made this decision tough was that she wanted me to go to UConn with her, I mean what are the chances of a bf and gf both geting into the same med and dental school together, however, I think I'd be a fool to pass up the opp to go to the school that I really love which is Harvard).............Your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

wow...tough decision

i really don't know about UConn, all i've heard was the stuff on sdn, and most of it like you said, wasn't very positive. a lot of the stuff said about harvard on here was negative too, but i liked it when i was there. so im sure you can discount all the stuff about uconn too.

the schools seem very similar in fact, small classes, classes with the med school, maybe people just don't like that on sdn...doesn't bother me.

in terms of the cities, i would say that boston is an amazing city. cool college city with lots to do. i havent spent time around the uconn area, just drove through it...so again i don't know.

i'd say that since you went school at uconn, it might be nice to venture out. and imo, it's still close enough to con. that you can go back for weekends and such. the time it takes you to go back to con. is the time it takes me to drive to LA just to spend a few hours with sme friends. y'all on the east coast should consider yourselves lucky that everything's so close together

but how much cheaper does uconn end up being? do you feel the price difference is worth the education at harvard?

best of luck with the decision.

I didnt apply to either, but I've heard good things about UConn. I heard that Harvard is overrated

Members don't see this ad :)
with housing and all, i think harvard is about 15g more a year. honestly though, i really do think the school is worth the money. its just a tough decision with all the other factors

emm so 60k total...sure it's a lot of money, but i would say the satisfaction with the school you choose is well worth that 60k. if you like the harvard program much more than Uconn's, then the 60k is nothing. if you feel both programs are similar and like both schools, then i don't think it would be wise to spend the extra 60k.

a personal example was when i was choosing undergrad schools. i was choosing between the biomedical engineering program at ucsd and uci. ucsd has one of the top notch programs in the country, but uci was ok too. it would've cost be around 10k more per year to attend ucsd because i would've had to move out, so i decided uci, bc to me, both programs were very similar. i felt i would've gotten a great education at either place, although i was dying to get into ucsd at the time, and had no desire to attend uci. it's funny how it worked out though. i just didn't feel that the extra 40k was worth the difference. and now i couldn't be happier of my choice...and with the money i saved, i went abroad, and had tons of money to spend.

i really don't mean to confuse you more, and sorry if i did. it doesn't seem like money is the issue though, and it seems like you had your heart set on harvard. so, if you have hte support of your gf and family, i would go for it. and congrats btw.

with housing and all, i think harvard is about 15g more a year. honestly though, i really do think the school is worth the money. its just a tough decision with all the other factors

Go to both schools, talk to professors and students. See where u can succeed more. Find the best fit.

It to be good idea to do what he say. But to know that UConn be bad school is very important. UConn teachers bad to students and deans not to help you.

Go to both schools, talk to professors and students. See where u can succeed more. Find the best fit.

Go to harvard... it sounds like that is where you are wanting to go; but the fact that your gf and family are still in CT is making you look for a reason to pass it up. You never know what is going to happen with your gf. If for some reason things don't work out, and you passed up the school you really wanted to go for someone else... you will kick yourself. She and your family will still be around after four years. Get away from home! It will be good for you. Money shouldn't matter... You will make enough to pay back either school... If you are becoming a dentist just for the money... go to Uconn, you will have less to pay back. If you are doing it for the career and to be happy... follow your instincts and go to where you really want to be. Which I think is Harvard.

my opinion: go to harvard. most importantly, it seems like your gut is telling you to go there. who cares about the money, i agree. its tough when it comes to your gf situation, but what if things dont work out in the long run? imagine how youd feel for giving up harvard for her. i know she probably means a lot, but this is one of those things that you need to put yourself first. especially if you have aspirations of specializing, youd pretty much be guaranteed a specialty by going to harvard. dont let a gf and money hold you back, do it for you and if shes the right one she'll understand.

I wonder if the vet students are having such a hard time deciding which school to go to...

"On the one hand, Auburn's really close to home. And it has a really great program. On the other hand, I got accepted to UPenn vet school, and I'd love to be an Ivy Leaguer. It cost a bit more, but it's really prestigious.... [Imagine all the dogs and cats I can save with that!]"

The Harvard name matters for the MBA and the JD. For all other careers, it's relatively pointless (even in medicine). Choose a school and stick with it. Harvard, Penn and Columbia affords little added benefit with the name. It's not a coincidence that the schools with the highest avg DAT also have the greatest specialty placement. It's not so much the schools' reputation coming into play as much as the caliber of the students that they accept.

Well I was accepted to both and I'm pretty sure at this point that I have made my decision to go to Harvard. However, I just wanted to get some feedback on this as it just wasn't the easiest decision to make as many factors have come into play.

Here's my story; I grew up in CT all my life, attended UConn undergard and received a scholarship to UConn Dental. My family and girlfriend of 3 yrs live in CT. On the other hand, I really feel that Harvard is the best school for me as their philosophy on dentistry is dead center with mine, and the strong pbl curriculum is def what I want! I loved the facilities, the students, the resources and the chance to get away from CT and live in Boston! I know it's a little bit more money but as many have told me that shouldnt be a deciding factor. I am interested in OMFS, but have a very open mind. I feel that Harvard will offer me the environment and the resources that will really help me not only succeed but explore my own interests.

However, both UConn and Harvard are very competetive schools, my family is closer to UConn and it is cheaper. I have read some rather negative things about UConn on sdn and heard some dreaded stories from students, but the students at Harvard seemed so relaxed about things and comfortable there. I really feel that I have made the best decision to go to Harvard, but I just wanted to know what you all think about this, not that it will necessarily change my mind, but since it is such a big decision. I also wanted to know how feasable it would be to have a long distance relationship from CT to Boston. Oh and she may be attending UConn medical school at the same time. (that reminds me, another thing that made this decision tough was that she wanted me to go to UConn with her, I mean what are the chances of a bf and gf both geting into the same med and dental school together, however, I think I'd be a fool to pass up the opp to go to the school that I really love which is Harvard).............Your thoughts?
It actually seems like that you like harvard a lot more than Uconn. Go for Harvard baby. Go where your heart desires.

By the way, I didn't choose to go to Harvard. I went to visit and decided that wasn't the right place for me. I am suggesting you to go to Harvard not because Harvard is better than Uconn. NO WAY. Both places have great qualities...yeah of course BOSTON is the s..t for some ppl.

I know the decision is hard to make, but guess what? You'll face tougher decisions later on in life. Harvard baby......u'll be happy...since you yourself say that you love it there.

Rev Balls-----Columbia or UPenn Dental Medicine Class of 2011