Has an Interview Question Ever Stumped You???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inthe4cast

What's in the 4-cast?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It happened to me at my last interview, the interviewer said near the end -

I ask everyone to teach me something, so what can you teach me?

I blanked, and I stared at the table for about 30 seconds before I could think of anything.

What is the best way to answer when you don't have one or can't think of anything???

Members don't see this ad.

Just talk to fill the void..."Well that's difficult to answer because I don't know your background... but I could probably teach you a lot about X hobby of mine"
Something will come to you normally if you just BS for a few seconds...worked for me on a few questions.

How about this:

Interviewer: I see you went to UMass. That's a party school isn't it?

Me: Well, maybe back in the day it was considered that. However, I can honestly see no difference between my university and other colleges in terms of the social scene. Plus, college is what you make of it.

Interviewer: What do you think of kids who drink underage in college? It's illegal and against school policy. Should we allow these people into medical school?

Me: <tries to talk about the whole person and responsibility and admission not being black and white>

Interviewer: But it's ILLEGAL.

Me: I need a bloody drink! (this is what I was thinking)

Members don't see this ad :)
happened to me too... I just tried not to make any "uhhh" or "ummm" sounds. Doesn't that 30 seconds feel like an eternity?

anyways I can't even remember the question I was asked now ... how crappy is that!

"Where are your pants?"

This question left me Uhhhh-ing and Ummm-ing.

Interviewer: What has been the biggest challenge you've faced in life?

Me: duuuuuuh.

I know it sounds like an easy question, but it caught me off guard--mainly because (and yes, I know this is going to sound cheesy) I feel like I've been really lucky and that life has treated me well (KNOCK WOOD). I said pretty much that, walked out feeling like the biggest ***** ever, and later got accepted to the school. Go figure. :)

inthe4cast said:
It happened to me at my last interview, the interviewer said near the end -

I ask everyone to teach me something, so what can you teach me?

I blanked, and I stared at the table for about 30 seconds before I could think of anything.

What is the best way to answer when you don't have one or can't think of anything???

i was asked the same question at my last interview. I just talked about the unique aspects of my research

I got asked: "Name me a song that represents who you are and tell me why"

I had the 30 second pause also. I ran down the CD's in my collection and I felt that Sublime or 50 cent did not adequately define who I am, I just like their music. It definitely made me think...

Wow! So much good advice, where were you guys during my interview??

I think the main reason I was caught in the headlights is I was told by a mentor not to ever assume they don't know something you know - so how do you teach someone something you can't assume they don't know?? I guess it was a matter of reading too much into my preparation.

I do agree, that it's best not to sit and look stupid for 30 second, and saying anything is better than saying nothing - but jeeze, if you do take some silence, you better have something good to say when you start talking, isn't that right?

I got asked that during a mock interview. I blanked too, and blurted out the first thing that came to mind - a cool tidbit about a particular species of spider I was reading about earlier. I thought it was an interesting fact, but in retrospect, wonder if I wasted a question. I feel like every answer you give should be taken as an opportunity to tell them something about you, but I don't think cool mating rituals reflect anything about me.
Do you think it's better to "teach" something fun and cool, or something that says something about yourself?

Antissa - in my opinion, what you came up with sounds fabulous as a response - especially since you remembered something of interest which probably shows character - even if it isn't directly about how you spend your afternoons. When you can teach them something about what interests you, you kill 2 birds - if even if that isn't what you're aiming for.

What has been your most altruistic moment?

....this after a series of random/overly-broad questions he had already asked me...I think he was trying to catch me off-guard, see how I handled stress.