has any derm resident ever done prelim SURG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just curious.. has any derm resident ever done prelim surgery instead of TY/prelim IM in the history of mankind..? :D i ask b/c as hardcore & intense surgery clerkship was, it was my fav. MSIII core rotation.

Members don't see this ad.

i was just curious.. has any derm resident ever done prelim surgery instead of TY/prelim IM in the history of mankind..? :D i ask b/c as hardcore & intense surgery clerkship was, it was my fav. MSIII core rotation.

One of my classmates did. He wanted to do mohs, not sure how much that would help, but more power to him.

Me on the other hand I'm like an electron, I take the path of least resistance. Esp when it comes to women. :p

Why would you do prelim in surgery? Let me warn you that is not like a med student rotation and you basically are doing scut to take care of the ward/floor patients except for a few small cases. You would learn way better floor patient care and general medical knowledge on a medicine prelim. You don't do that much surgery as a prelim and you would get more surgery experience if you did a TY with a plastics rotation...

Do the TY if you really want to get surgical experience as an intern...

My two cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you do prelim in surgery? Let me warn you that is not like a med student rotation and you basically are doing scut to take care of the ward/floor patients except for a few small cases. You would learn way better floor patient care and general medical knowledge on a medicine prelim. You don't do that much surgery as a prelim and you would get more surgery experience if you did a TY with a plastics rotation...

Do the TY if you really want to get surgical experience as an intern...

My two cents.

Our program has an attending who does Moh's and he did a surgery prelim. I don't think it would hurt, but I agree with above assessment and I sure wouldn't do it. Most prisons treat their inmates better than surgery interns are treated and the interns don't even get conjugals unless its in house:D.

I don't think there is a plastics TY however.

Anyways, it's been done, but if you're going to endure the worst part of a surgery residency, and you love surgery that much, why not just do surgery? Surely the application process would be more enjoyable.

Why torture yourself with the call schedule of a surgical resident?

You can do tons of sewing on your ER month, or during derm or plastics rotation. Especially in the ER: make the most of this time and grab those procedures every time something comes through the door. I did this, and I pretty much avoided all the bull**** flu-like Sx and instead spent a huge majority of my time sewing and eventually performing a few LP's.

Over the course of my rotations, I'd say I've met about 3-4 residents who had to scramble for prelim spots and ended up doing gen surg prelims. It sounded like most of them really wanted to stay in a particular desirable major city, and were willing to do whatever prelim year they had to.

hey guys, how much is harder is prelim surg vs. prelim IM at the same university-based program? for example, how much hardcore would Duke prelim surg be over Duke prelim IM? i hear most of these prelim IM programs have 8-9 mo's of q3-4 call anyway, that's almost as bad as any prelim surg, no?:scared::scared::scared:

You're right in that there is not such thing as a Plastics TY but that's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about doing a plastics rotation as an elective within the TY.

Prelim Medicine is pretty different from Prelim Surg...you can't totally generalize but the personalities are a lot different. Surgery tends to have more of an abrasiveness that medicine does not seem to have. This could be ok if you actually got to perform surgery but you'll have slim pickings as an intern. I'm still very surprised to hear that people do surgery prelims if given a choice....

There are two residents in my program who completed a surgery prelim year, and actually chose to do it. Go for it, if that is what you really enjoyed. Just realized you are likely going to get s*!t on if you decide to do it...