Has anyone attended the University of Washington? thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kosmopo42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has thought/comments about the University of Washington and their program. Any information about the DPT program or the Neuro Residency would be welcomed, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone? I would also find this information very helpful. Anyone who has gone there or considered it -- please help.

Thanks.

I would like to know about UW's DPT program if anyone knows anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in the UW DPT program. I'm very happy with my education and clinical preparation so far. If there is something specific you would like to know about the program, let me know, and I'll do my best to answer.

Hi Supershred! Thanks for offering to answer questions. I'd like to know what your thoughts are on the Capstone Project you have to complete your final year. Also, do you feel you are going to be prepared for your clinical rotations since from the schedule, it looks like the only clinical experience PT students get is a 4 week FT clinical at the end of first year? (although I have noticed that there PT students in the rehab center at 8E downstairs helping with transition class for outpatients on certain afternoons...is that for a certain class?)

Stam19,

I feel very well-prepared for my third year clinical rotations. Not only do we get the 4-week-clerkship after the 1st year, but we also get to work at Harborview Medical Center doing pro bono physical therapy under the guidance of some great clinical instructors. My experience with the SCI transition program primarily helped me get more comfortable working with real patients with SCI related impairments; this program is not associated with any particular class. In addition, many of the classes have integrated practical experiences. For example, we have a "UW PT Student Clinic" for our neuro classes where we get to evaluate and treat real patients with neurological conditions. With regards to patients with orthopedic problems, some of the classes hire actors as "standardized patients" to come in acting out a certain scenario while we figure out their PT diagnosis is and treat it. These are just a couple examples. In regards to your question about the Capstone Project, I am looking forward to it. In summary, my experience in the UW PT program has been very positive so far. I feel like all the pieces of my education are coming together. The professors do a great job of helping us figure out how to apply our book knowledge to evidence-based clinical practice, and we have many opportunities to develop our hands-on skills, patient management strategies, and documentation. I am very excited for my third year.

Thanks again Supershred. I have an additional question:
Laura Robinson has said the UW program prepares students to be generalists. I volunteer for an sports ortho PT that went to UW who feels that UW emphasizes MSK conditions in its curriculum. But given your information about student work with SCI patients, that there is a rehab clinic in the same building, and that I know that acute care and inpatient rehab PTs at UWMC will often go up to the PT school and help teach clinical skills to the PT classes, my take on it is that UW has a pretty big emphasis on neuro conditions. So my question is, do you personally feel that the UW program biases MSK/neuro/any other area in its curriculum?

Also, not related to the program itself, but what settings are you trying to get placed in for your third year clinicals?

SuperShred, thank you so much for responding to questions!

Do you know anyone I could speak to about their experience obtaining resident status and in-state tuition for the second and third year, preferably someone who is married? I have read the rules online, but I also have more questions. I have attempted to contact UW's residency office several times and they will not respond to me. I have also talked to Laura and the financial aid office and they will not answer my questions regarding the process and best course of action. My husband and I are going to visit the school in three weeks and I have to make my decision right after we get back, but we can't afford to go if we have to pay the out-of-state tuition for all three years. It would be tremendously helpful to speak to someone about their experience switching to in-state tuition and hear their advice about obtaining residency. At this point I am grasping at straws, so if you could help me out it would be absolutely amazing! Thank you.

Stam19,

It is true we will graduate as "generalists" with the ability to specialize. Honestly, I don't feel like the program strongly emphasizes neuro over MSK or vice-versa; the professors teaching the neuro/MSK classes are incredibly knowledgeable in their respective fields, and they provide us with the necessary learning tools / opportunities to develop clinical skills to evaluate and treat patients with neurological or orthopedic conditions. The UW program strongly emphasizes evidence-based practice, so whatever the population we are studying / treating, the professors always want to make sure we have strong rationale to support our clinical decisions. It's great. With regards to clinical placement, we are required to have internships in the following settings: outpatient, rehab, acute, out of Seattle, and rural.

mghu123,

As I am sure you are aware, obtaining residency can be very convoluted and frustrating for many people. In regards to your situation, I know of at least one classmate who is married that was able to obtain residency / instate tuition after one year in the program here. I know this classmate's spouse was working full-time since they first moved here for school, and I would guess that probably helped their situation. Other steps this classmate took to obtain residency included btaining a Washington license, registering their car for WA, and registering to vote. In addition, they had to show their taxes, a rental agreement, copies of receipts, copies of car insurance, etc. Anyway, hopefully that information is of some help to you and gives you hope! Living in Seattle is great. The UW DPT program is fantastic.

SuperShred,

It is such a relief to hear the story of someone in a similar situation who was successful at obtaining residency and in-state tuition. I am so enthusiastic about UW's program and living in Seattle, but I didn't want to get my hopes up if attending UW wasn't going to be feasible due to finances. Those are the exact same measures my husband and I were planning on taking, so that puts me a little bit at ease. Thank you so much for your quick response! It is really good of you to help us out like this.