Has anyone changed a Welch Allyn bulb?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henry101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Welch Allyn opthalmoscope isn't working an I'm almost sure it's because the bulb is broken because my pan-optic and other gadgets are working fine with the power handle thing.

I don't want to send it in to Welch Allyn because it's going to cost me like $120+ and take more than a month.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on repairing this on your own with an after market bulb. I found a replica/knock-off/after market bulb for $20 and found the instructions online on how to change it. It looks simple enough. Has anyone done this successfully with their Welch Allyn toys?

Members don't see this ad.

My Welch Allyn opthalmoscope isn't working an I'm almost sure it's because the bulb is broken because my pan-optic and other gadgets are working fine with the power handle thing.

I don't want to send it in to Welch Allyn because it's going to cost me like $120+ and take more than a month.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on repairing this on your own with an after market bulb. I found a replica/knock-off/after market bulb for $20 and found the instructions online on how to change it. It looks simple enough. Has anyone done this successfully with their Welch Allyn toys?
Maybe I'm ridiculously naive, but why does a med student have an ophthalmoloscope? And possibly an even more naive question: couldn't maintaining your own medical equipment leave you open to some sort of liability?

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe I'm ridiculously naive, but why does a med student have an ophthalmoloscope? And possibly an even more naive question: couldn't maintaining your own medical equipment leave you open to some sort of liability?

Yeah I agree virtually every clinic room I have been in has had an opthalmoscope on the wall. I'm a third year and have never had to own my own. I can't imagine a scenario where you could be held liable for the functionality of an opthalmoscope however.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work in a free clinic and need a functioning opthalmoscope. It's mostly run by medical school students and pre-med college students and we use our own equipment. I also know some schools require students to have this equipment.

I work in a free clinic and need a functioning opthalmoscope. It's mostly run by medical school students and pre-med college students and we use our own equipment. I also know some schools require students to have this equipment.
Wow! In that case, I would expect that you can buy a bulb and repair your own. I'm an incoming med student, and my only experience using this equipment outside of an OR in the U.S. was during a medical mission when we brought and assembled our own, and we obtained all sorts of special paperwork and permission to use that scope in another country. And even then, we called a sales rep to walk us through it to make sure we were doing it right. I would hope that in your situation, they'd extend the same kind of courtesy and help you?

lol it's a light bulb, not a da vinci robot. I wouldn't be too worried about litigation - either it works or it doesn't.

Reactions: 1 user
lol it's a light bulb, not a da vinci robot. I wouldn't be too worried about litigation - either it works or it doesn't.
In theory, I'm totally with you! It may sound completely absurd, but when you're running an OR, that is not such a fine distinction. Trust me.