Has anyone else ever thought about how much of a scam the SAT is?

Developer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
a AP Tests: $89
b SAT Reasoning Test: $51
c SAT Subject Tests: $74.50
d Additional SAT score reports $11.25
e Every other BS fee they have (late reg, phone report, etc) $400

(a) * (b) * (c) * (d) * (e) * (X Millions of SAT testers) = 9 FIGURES

It's a stupid test in my opinion. It doesn't measure college readiness. No amount of SAT prep well prepare you for a college class. People prepare for the SAT and then never look back at the test for the rest of their life once they've made it into a school of their choice. Transfer students don't have to take the SAT because they've proven their readiness through their college courses.

"The SAT is a great test, it measured my college readiness very precisely and because of my 2400 score on the SAT, I've achieved a 4.0 cGPA and sGPA in my entire 4 years of college" Said no one ever.

The College Board has a monopoly on standardized college entry exams and AP tests. They make well over $300 million a year. Their executives probably have high 6 figure salaries and on top of that, expense accounts. Yeah yeah, they're non-profit. Non-profit doesn't mean the company isn't allowed to make a profit, it just limits how they can profit and what they can do with said profits.

Sorry for the rant, I just needed somewhere to vent.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree totally. When I tell people that I got a 1290 I get the, "are you stupid?!" looks. I feel like I'm well above a 1290, and it totally limits what college I can apply to.

Also, AP test are freaking expensive, especially when one is taking 4+.

I do agree they should not charge each time you send it to a college. We already paid the $80 for the ****ing test itself! But other than that, whatever lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree totally. When I tell people that I got a 1290 I get the, "are you stupid?!" looks. I feel like I'm well above a 1290, and it totally limits what college I can apply to.

1290 with or without writing?

You get 4 free reports for the SAT each time you take it, so take advantage of that. They both are really expensive though, luckily if you take multiple APs at my school, you only pay for one and they pay for the rest.

You guys wont like the MCAT then. The test itself is around 300 dollars just to take it. Also you will need to do practice tests to get a good score which run at 35 dollars each (there's 10) so add another 350.

You guys wont like the MCAT then. The test itself is around 300 dollars just to take it. Also you will need to do practice tests to get a good score which run at 35 dollars each (there's 10) so add another 350.

Lol yup. It only gets better.

Lol yup. It only gets better.

I never did the SAT because Mexico doesn't require that to enter a university but if you think that is expensive, you should see how much the USMLE exams cost. Man, 1200 USD for the Step CS AND it must be done on US soil in only 5 cities!!

:laugh: yep

USMLE Step 1: $580
Step 2 CK: $580
Step 2 CS: $1200 (plus travel, as there are only 5 testing locations in the country)
Qbanks, review courses/review books: $$$

but at least ERAS/NRMP is relatively cheaper than AMCAS.

if you want to go into medicine, just start getting used to forking over your money for the next 20 years. :D

:laugh: yep

USMLE Step 1: $580
Step 2 CK: $580
Step 2 CS: $1200 (plus travel, as there are only 5 testing locations in the country)
Qbanks, review courses/review books: $$$

but at least ERAS/NRMP is relatively cheaper than AMCAS.

if you want to go into medicine, just start getting used to forking over your money for the next 20 years. :D

Gets worse.

American Board of Internal Medicine Certification Exam: $1365
ABIM Subspecialty Exam: $2200

American Board of Pediatrics - General Pediatrics Exam: $2225 :eek:

Board Review - ACP (American College of Physicians) charges $1465 for non-members, but a discount is given to residents, where they only charge $1065 (don't forget the cost of traveling to the board review sites, as well as hotel cost) :(

And the cost goes up every year :scared:

Applying to med school (and I am not even nearly done yet):

Primaries: $1,216.00
Secondaries: $2,965.50
Interviews: $3,999.97 (includes some future trips)
Total: $8,181.47

It gets much, much worse... Also, don't forget those pricey SAT tutoring classes.