Has anyone ever been to an APhA conference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychoandy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made the decision to join APhA last year. So far, it seems like my chapter just holds meetings and has events like "diabetes awareness" and etc, basically community healthcare type stuff. Not really my cup of tea, but that's besides the point. Anyways, I was stupid enough to give them an email that I actually use, and if you're like me, I'm sure you've been bombarded with the seemingly endless emails to register for APhA national convention in March. I've been thinking about going regardless of whether my friends go or not, but after thinking about it, I'm not exactly sure what I'll get out of it.

As a student, it seems like the only things to do will be:
-Countless CE's regarding everything, and subsequently lots of smart people talking about stupid/important stuff
-On the student side, voting for officer positions, residency presentations, and lots of touchy-feely patient care event stuff
-crunkfest2k7...i mean, "networking" with other students and checking out Atlanta

Am I right on this? Can anyone who's gone to one of these events comment? Will I have all kinds of fun and learn wonderful things? Will I end up hating everyone because they're all ridiculous gunners? Your thoughts as a student or RPh...

Members don't see this ad.

I made the decision to join APhA last year. So far, it seems like my chapter just holds meetings and has events like "diabetes awareness" and etc, basically community healthcare type stuff. Not really my cup of tea, but that's besides the point. Anyways, I was stupid enough to give them an email that I actually use, and if you're like me, I'm sure you've been bombarded with the seemingly endless emails to register for APhA national convention in March. I've been thinking about going regardless of whether my friends go or not, but after thinking about it, I'm not exactly sure what I'll get out of it.

-Countless CE's regarding everything, and subsequently lots of smart people talking about stupid/important stuff
-On the student side, voting for officer positions, residency presentations, and lots of touchy-feely patient care event stuff
-crunkfest2k7...i mean, "networking" with other students and checking out Atlanta

Am I right on this? Can anyone who's gone to one of these events comment? Will I have all kinds of fun and learn wonderful things? Will I end up hating everyone because they're all ridiculous gunners? Your thoughts as a student or RPh...

I've enjoyed going in the past. We're required to go to certain events to get reimbursed by UF. They pay for our room (4 to a room, yuck) and registration. Some of the meetings are boring, but the one where students have ideas and discuss them is very interesting. The convention floor is cool with all the vendors. You can get lots of info on different drugs. You get lots of stuff, too. I have Pallidone pens, which they printed up in advance before the drug was withdrawn. It's not just pens, there's tons of other stuff.

I also have a pallidone pen, the drug rep came in and gave them out before it had its brief stint on the market. The rep was quoted as saying "Ive just been to Dr. PN managment so expect to see alot of palidone scrips and be prepared." I looked at the package insert, saw the EtOH warning and giggled

Members don't see this ad :)

Hi - I went to one while I was still a technician (before being in pharmacy school). I would highly recommend it - it gave me a much better view of what the total field of pharmacy looked like, beyond retail. For students who are closer to graduating, it's an opportunity to interview/look at potential employers.

I'll be there this year - there are about 18 of us going from ISU. I see it as a chance to network, learn more about new drugs/companies/products, etc, and as an overall fun time. It's too bad that we need a chaperone, though :D

Go once, maybe twice....then about once a decade - thats enough! Not much changes after that, unless you want to see your classmates & they end up in retail or industry.

I'm thinking about going, I was wondering the same thing? Will there just be a lot of long, boring seminars or will it really be beneficial to go? Worse case senario like you said Atlanta is a fun city, turn the visit to crunkfest2k7. LOL ! On the serious note I really hear it is a good experience, especially in your last year of school for networking and jobs. But I'm only in my first year and curious. Should I go?

Okay, so I'm a P1 and I've decided to attend. But my question is this, what is the purpose of the following on the registration form?

Many interesting products and services are offered in the APhA Exposition. Please select your primary and secondary interests from the items listed below:

What will I gain from the exhibition? Has anyone found it useful/interesting in the past? Any input would be great as I don't know what to choose.

Okay, so I'm a P1 and I've decided to attend. But my question is this, what is the purpose of the following on the registration form?

Many interesting products and services are offered in the APhA Exposition. Please select your primary and secondary interests from the items listed below:

What will I gain from the exhibition? Has anyone found it useful/interesting in the past? Any input would be great as I don't know what to choose.

I'm going for the phat lewtz. :cool: But also to check out new products, different companies, etc.

Have you ever been to any seminars?

I think if you go with a great group of people (and it's in an awesome place) then the fun that you'll have and the free goodies can definitely make up for the snoozy CE seminars. At least that is my limited experience as a P1.