Quantcast

Has anyone ever needed to do an interview for a shadowing spot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flybynight79

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
So I live up North where shadowing rarely happens and I found an opportunity. The problem is that I have to do an interview for a shadowing spot. I'm grateful but nervous because I'm clueless about the questions they might ask me. Does anyone have some pointers or tips?

drducky.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve never heard of that but i’m sure theyre just making sure youre not some weirdo and do dumb things with patients around.

Reactions: 5 users

So I live up North where shadowing rarely happens and I found an opportunity. The problem is that I have to do an interview for a shadowing spot. I'm grateful but nervous because I'm clueless about the questions they might ask me. Does anyone have some pointers or tips?
I did have to do one for my local hospital. They get so many people that want to shadow that they limit you to only 2 days, you have to have your vaccines, you have to do a phone interview etc. This is not super common, but common enough (particularly at large hospitals in medically under served areas) that you should not be worried by it.

Reactions: 1 user

AnMDtoB

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had to do it also for a summer pre-med program at a community hospital - if you look up "pre med interview questions" or even just common interview questions you'll probably have a good idea of what to expect. Mostly I'd imagine they're trying to understand who can A) show up on time & look professional, B) that you're well adjusted with social skills, and C) that you're genuinely interested and not just being forced into medicine

D

deleted967981

I had to do one for my shadowing program. It was supposed to be a Med school “mock interview” but it was very low key and relaxed.

D

deleted688779

I had to do one, they just want to know my intentions, goals, and whether I'm a decent and professional person.

I also encountered an office that asked me to pay...so there's that.

Reactions: 1 users

plshelpvanxious

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did at a private practice that had never had an undergraduate shadow, so they really just wanted to "interview" me to ask what I wanted from the experience, ask how often I wanted to come in, and to give me a tour

flybynight79

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Update: got the spot, thanks to all for the great advice.

Reactions: 2 users