Has anyone gotten away with not submitting every transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroDroid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I know what you're thinking. I'm a cheater. I googled similar threads and they were all about people trying to hide bad grades. That's not the case with me. In 2011, I had to leave my university to go back to my hometown because of a family medical emergency. Despite leaving the third week in the semester, the school still charged me for the entire semester and because of this, I have a large debt I have been unable to pay. I have really good grades and the transcript from that school won't affect them much but they won't release my transcripts until I've dished out well over $10,000. I feel like I'm dealing with the mob. I graduated college in my hometown with a 3.85 two years ago and I've been working (minimum wage is all I can get) but I'm still unable to pay this debt. I've kind of accepted at this point that I'm never going to medical school and I'll just have to look at other master degrees or doctorate degrees at my school. But on the off chance that someone has done this...is it really that bad to omit a transcript? Everyone says they'll find out through the student clearinghouse but I have yet to read of anything happening to anyone. I find it hard to believe that no one has omitted transcripts before...

I'm kind of desperate...I guess if I get in and then later get kicked out, at least I tried, right? As it stands...I have no chance anyways. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I can't answer your question, but I have a possible solution to your problem. Open a credit card with a intro 0% APR on new purchases for 18 months and pay off your bill with it. You'll end up paying $100 or so a month as a minimum payment though. At the end of the 0% APR promo period, transfer it to a different 0% APR credit card and continue paying it off like that. There's no shortage of credit cards to get.

Reactions: 1 users
So, I know what you're thinking. I'm a cheater. I googled similar threads and they were all about people trying to hide bad grades. That's not the case with me. In 2011, I had to leave my university to go back to my hometown because of a family medical emergency. Despite leaving the third week in the semester, the school still charged me for the entire semester and because of this, I have a large debt I have been unable to pay. I have really good grades and the transcript from that school won't affect them much but they won't release my transcripts until I've dished out well over $10,000. I feel like I'm dealing with the mob. I graduated college in my hometown with a 3.85 two years ago and I've been working (minimum wage is all I can get) but I'm still unable to pay this debt. I've kind of accepted at this point that I'm never going to medical school and I'll just have to look at other master degrees or doctorate degrees at my school. But on the off chance that someone has done this...is it really that bad to omit a transcript? Everyone says they'll find out through the student clearinghouse but I have yet to read of anything happening to anyone. I find it hard to believe that no one has omitted transcripts before... I'm kind of desperate...I guess if I get in and then later get kicked out, at least I tried, right? As it stands...I have no chance anyways. :(
Your options are:
i) Pay the $10,000 and get your transcript sent in and have peace of mind, or
ii) Try to save $10,000 now, submit without the transcript being sent in, risk getting found out, and then kicked out after accruing an additional $50k-300k of medical school debt (depending on when they find this out) with no degree / earning power to pay it back.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The National Student Clearinghouse is a thing.

What does your credit look like? Will you need loans for med school?

Reactions: 2 users
So, I know what you're thinking. I'm a cheater. I googled similar threads and they were all about people trying to hide bad grades. That's not the case with me. In 2011, I had to leave my university to go back to my hometown because of a family medical emergency. Despite leaving the third week in the semester, the school still charged me for the entire semester and because of this, I have a large debt I have been unable to pay. I have really good grades and the transcript from that school won't affect them much but they won't release my transcripts until I've dished out well over $10,000. I feel like I'm dealing with the mob. I graduated college in my hometown with a 3.85 two years ago and I've been working (minimum wage is all I can get) but I'm still unable to pay this debt. I've kind of accepted at this point that I'm never going to medical school and I'll just have to look at other master degrees or doctorate degrees at my school. But on the off chance that someone has done this...is it really that bad to omit a transcript? Everyone says they'll find out through the student clearinghouse but I have yet to read of anything happening to anyone. I find it hard to believe that no one has omitted transcripts before...

I'm kind of desperate...I guess if I get in and then later get kicked out, at least I tried, right? As it stands...I have no chance anyways. :(
You know, having an unpaid debt is likely to prevent you from getting med school loans too, so...one way or another you need to resolve the problem. Could you meet with the college financial dept to set up a repayment plan? Could any family member pay it for you and you pay them back? @procrastitator 's idea isn't likely to work since I know of no credit card that will give a new cardholder a $10,000 credit limit!

Reactions: 3 users
You know, having an unpaid debt is likely to prevent you from getting med school loans too, so...one way or another you need to resolve the problem. Could you meet with the college financial dept to set up a repayment plan? Could any family member pay it for you and you pay them back? @procrastitator 's idea isn't likely to work since I know of no credit card that will give a new cardholder a $10,000 credit limit!

Let alone someone with questionable credit.

I can't answer your question, but I have a possible solution to your problem. Open a credit card with a intro 0% APR on new purchases for 18 months and pay off your bill with it. You'll end up paying $100 or so a month as a minimum payment though. At the end of the 0% APR promo period, transfer it to a different 0% APR credit card and continue paying it off like that. There's no shortage of credit cards to get.

But could impact your credit score if you keep opening credit cards like that. So do your research before taking advantage of such a loophole

Reactions: 1 user
But could impact your credit score if you keep opening credit cards like that. So do your research before taking advantage of such a loophole

It is minor. A MINOR hit.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone for your replies. I was crazy for asking. I know I shouldn't lie to schools. My credit is surprisingly high (near 700). I don't think the university ever reported the debt. I pay my loans on time. I have an apartment, a car, expenses. It's just really difficult to add another payment to the list. And I'm already 27... I think I'll have to accept this is it. Thanks all.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was crazy for asking. I know I shouldn't lie to schools. My credit is surprisingly high (near 700). I don't think the university ever reported the debt. I pay my loans on time. I have an apartment, a car, expenses. It's just really difficult to add another payment to the list. And I'm already 27... I think I'll have to accept this is it. Thanks all.
Ask the school if they will release your transcript if you enter a payment plan.

This is exactly what's ruining the US economy.

@procrastitator 's idea isn't likely to work since I know of no credit card that will give a new cardholder a $10,000 credit limit!

Off the top of my head, American Express, Chase, and Capitol One.

This is exactly what's ruining the US economy.

That's a bold claim; how so? I'd argue it's the 96 month, high interest car loans that are going to play a large part in the next recession. OP is not in an ideal situation, but I've offered a solution that allows them to pay it off slowly without paying some crazy interest rate. What's your solution now?

One new credit card a year won't impact a credit score in any meaningful way.
Ask the school if they will release your transcript if you enter a payment plan.

This is a good idea.

Work on oil rig or in dakotas for a short contract. I’ve heard people just save money because there is nothing to do and cost of living is so cheap

• Haha
Work on oil rig or in dakotas for a short contract. I’ve heard people just save money because there is nothing to do and cost of living is so cheap

Having nothing to do sounds like the worst, ever.
Isnt working on an oil rig really dangerous? Also, that's a really random idea haha

Another idea is to hire a lawyer. Threatening legal action is not extortion. I’m sure there must be something to protect students from predatory tactics. Also you could try to set up a payment plan and see if they’ll release once you start paying. If those fail go to the local newspaper and see if they’ll write about it (I found articles about this in LA times, national review etc)

Last edited:

1) Did you sign a promissory note or is it merely unpaid tuition?
2) Do you need Grad Plus loans for medical school?
3) Do you have a credit worthy cosigner for Grade Plus loans if you need one?

If the tuition debt and the transcript issue is keeping you out of medical school and if you are unable to obtain other financing, bankruptcy may be a solution. Subject to local case law, some courts have held that unpaid tuition debt does not constitute a student loan and is dischargeable in bankruptcy unless you signed a promissory note for it. If that is true in your jurisdiction, then the school can't hold your transcript once you file bankruptcy. It would be in violation of the automatic stay, subject to sanctions, and subject to a lawsuit within the bankruptcy proceeding for damages. Check with a local bankruptcy attorney.

Now for the bad news. If you need Grad Plus loans, you will need a credit worthy cosigner if you file chapter 7. Research the current administrative regulations. At one point while a chapter 7 bankruptcy would constitute an "adverse credit history" for purposes of federal student loans necessitating a co-signer, a chapter 13 would not. A chapter 13 plan would require payments though. These may be small depending on your income and need not be a full repayment of the underlying debt in all cases. It depends on individual factors. If you can maintain small payments in school or have a relative help you out with those, a chapter 13 might be the way to go. If the school even thinks you are contemplating bankruptcy, it may also be possible to convince them to settle the debt for a reduced amount.

They most likely won't as they lose all leverage at that point.