1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone had to do the FAFSA verification/audit

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by simpleton, Mar 21, 2002.

1. simpleton

simpleton Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just got a think envelope from the med school I will be attending. I was like wtf. I know I know it's random but it's too suspicious because my parents make an obscenely low amount so of all people I guess they should audit myslef. Anyways its a pain in the rear and I'm going to have to work hard to have it done before the school's deadline because it can be processed until it's completed, returned, and verified. This sucks and would like to hear from anyone else who's dealing w/ this for their MED school not undergrad. Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. trout

trout Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

many schools require you to send in all 1040s,w2 and other documentation, this is not an audit...last year I got audited by the government (which is random) and I had to send copies of my W2 and 1040 to them....luckily I hadn't put my parents info on so I only had to send my documents.

4. Astrid

Astrid Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah, same thing happened to me last year... it's a bit of a pain in the a$$, i know.

5. electra

electra SDN Moderator
    7+ Year Member

Most schools will require you to submit 1040s and W-2s, as was already posted. If you selected for verification, it may be one of the random 30% of forms that are selected every year, or it may be due to conflicting information on the FAFSA, which triggers VF. If you have filed a FAFSA already with correct income information, then submit what your school needs ASAP and you should have no problems.

electra

6. CANES2006

CANES2006 Miami chica
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have been "picked" for verification for the last three years. What are the odds of this occurring if it is purely random? I don't know what is the big deal. I don't get **** outside of scholarships, and I doubt I'll get anything during medical school.
    Cane

7. squeek

squeek Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It happens, irregardless of what you put on your forms. It happened to me, too, and I don't get any grants at all...just federal aid. It's a random process, although quite a pain.