Has anyone heard from FGCU DPT program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ellabean13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been accepted into Florida Gulf Coast University's DPT program yet? I tried e-mailing them about a timeline for admission and they told me I was one of the top 24 applicants but that was a few weeks ago and I still haven't received an official acceptance letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Overall GPA: 3.7
Science GPA: 3.5
GRE Verbal: 470
Quantitative: 610
Analytical: 4.0
Observation Hours: 100+ in variety of settings (in-patient, outpatient, geriatrics, pediatrics)

I e-mailed them again and they said I should hear back within the next couple weeks. I'm not very good @ waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone heard back from fgcu? they called me a few days ago and told me i was waitlisted. I wanted to know if anyone received an acceptance letter or was waitlisted and heard back already. I just want to know how long i have to wait till i find out

has anyone heard back from fgcu? they called me a few days ago and told me i was waitlisted. I wanted to know if anyone received an acceptance letter or was waitlisted and heard back already. I just want to know how long i have to wait till i find out

I got an e-mail saying I was accepted a couple weeks ago.

do you mind telling me what your gpa and gre score was... just so i know where i might stand in the waitlist.

I was wait listed first, then notified of my acceptance a couple days ago. I was accepted to a few other programs as well and I'm having a hard time making a decision. I'm from Ohio, and have not had a chance to see FGCU's program in person. Have any of you visited it and be willing to share your thoughts?

Overall GPA: 3.40
GRE Verbal: 470
GRE Quanitative: 680
GRE Analytical: 4
Obsv Hours: 130

I am in a similar situation...I was accepted to another program and must make my mind up between that program and FGCU in the next 15 days. I went to undergrad at FGCU and it is a beautiful campus that has expanded a lot since I was there in 2006. Being from Ohio, i'm sure you would love and appreciate the good weather. I also heard today that in December FGCU is getting a new PT building. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Has anyone heard from FGCU this application cycle?

I received an acceptance e-mail on 2/17. I'm not sure whether I will attend there because I'm waiting for other schools to respond. The location, facilities, positive feedback, and the opportunity to work on the campus to offset the astronomical OOS tuition are all appealing.

Stats:

Overall: 3.7 (BS Geography)
Pre- req: 3.7
GRE: (pre-2011): 570 Verbal 480 Math 4.5 Analytical
Observation Hours: 300 in-patient; 150+ acute care
Four letters of recommendation (two from PTs)

Kevin

Last edited:
I received an acceptance e-mail on 2/17. I'm not sure whether I will attend there because I'm waiting for other schools to respond. The location, facilities, positive feedback, and the opportunity to work on the campus to offset the astronomical OOS tuition are all appealing.

Stats:

Overall: 3.7 (BS Geography)
Pre- req: 3.7
Observation Hours: 300 in-patient; 150+ acute care
Four letters of recommendation (two from PTs)

Kevin

So how much is the down payment and when do you have to send it out?

I heard back from them today. I would love to go there, but out-of-state tuition is so high!

Members don't see this ad :)
So how much is the down payment and when do you have to send it out?

$200. I'm not sure what the deadline is because I have still not received the official LOA. I only received an e-mail.

By the way, OOS tuition is ridiculous, but you can work in the lab for a year and FGCU will deduct $35k from your tuition costs. Also, see if you can apply for residency after one year. FGCU for IS students is very cheap.

Kevin

GPA: 3.43
GRE: 153 V, 156 Q
150+ observation hours

New Testament, do you know how I would go about getting that job in the lab? Who I need to talk to?

If I'm not mistaken, Florida has passed legislation that if you start graduate school as OOS you must finish as OOS - at least that is what I was told when I visited UNF.

I don't think so the website says you can be reconsidered for in-state tuition after a year

If I'm not mistaken, Florida has passed legislation that if you start graduate school as OOS you must finish as OOS - at least that is what I was told when I visited UNF.

I don't think this is true. In an e-mail the admissions coordinator "strongly recommended" that OOS studnets apply for residency after one year because the assistantship is only available for first-year students. If Florida had passed that legislation, then why would FGCU recommend that I apply for residency?

Kevin

I don't think this is true. In an e-mail the admissions coordinator "strongly recommended" that OOS studnets apply for residency after one year because the assistantship is only available for first-year students. If Florida had passed that legislation, then why would FGCU recommend that I apply for residency?

Kevin
this link may help

http://www.fgcu.edu/Registrar/residency.html

nangus, this is also true at fau. when coming to the state of florida to attend graduate/professional school the state deems you an out of state student for tuition purposes. even once you have established 12 month state residency with drivers liscence, cable/electric bills, etc. the student is still obligated to pay the out of state tuition rate.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree with you New Testament. I don't know why the admissions coordinator would make that statement if we could not be reconsidered for in-state tuition. Have you decided if your going there yet or not?

Things you NEED to know about Residency Reclassification

• Residency Reclassification criteria are established by Florida law and Florida Department of Education regulations. The Registrar's Office CANNOT waive State/DOE criteria for ANY reason.
  • Living in Florida for a year or longer DOES NOT automatically qualify you for in-state tuition (Florida Resident).
  • Under Florida law, there is a difference between being a "Florida Resident" and being a "Florida Resident for Tuition Purposes."
  • To be considered a "Florida Resident for Tuition Purposes," you MUST prove through OFFICIAL and/or LEGAL DOCUMENTS that you have moved to Florida permanently and not merely living in Florida temporarily while you attend FGCU.
  • All supporting documents (for example; driver's license, vehicle registration, voter registration card) MUST be dated 12 CALENDAR MONTHS prior to the first day of classes for the requested reclassification term. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this requirement.

Things you NEED to know about Residency Reclassification

• Residency Reclassification criteria are established by Florida law and Florida Department of Education regulations. The Registrar's Office CANNOT waive State/DOE criteria for ANY reason.
  • Living in Florida for a year or longer DOES NOT automatically qualify you for in-state tuition (Florida Resident).
  • Under Florida law, there is a difference between being a "Florida Resident" and being a "Florida Resident for Tuition Purposes."
  • To be considered a "Florida Resident for Tuition Purposes," you MUST prove through OFFICIAL and/or LEGAL DOCUMENTS that you have moved to Florida permanently and not merely living in Florida temporarily while you attend FGCU.
  • All supporting documents (for example; driver's license, vehicle registration, voter registration card) MUST be dated 12 CALENDAR MONTHS prior to the first day of classes for the requested reclassification term. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this requirement.
I worked as a GA at FAU while finishing my masters in exercise science. Out of state GA's were unable to recieve reclassification of tuition. Once deemed out of state for tuition purposes the only way to provide proper proof that the student moved to the state of Florida other than to attend a university would be to provide proof that you work full time outside the ground of the university which is impossible to do with attending class and the studying requirements in a graduate/professional program.