Has anyone here done a senior research project in their undergraduate years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neil45

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm majoring in Biology, and the major requires we undergo an independent research project under the supervision of a professor. What was your experience with the research project? Did you have to make oral presentations in a public setting? I'm not very good with oral presentations at all, and I am nervous about that.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm majoring in Biology, and the major requires we undergo an independent research project under the supervision of a professor. What was your experience with the research project? Did you have to make oral presentations in a public setting? I'm not very good with oral presentations at all, and I am nervous about that.

I think a lot of undergraduate programs require their seniors to do some sort of research or project in order to graduate. I did not major in biology, but public health. We were required to conduct research (plan, implement and report). We ended up giving a couple of presentations and doing a poster session. You might be able to avoid this if you publish your findings. But chances are you will have to present it to somebody. Your future as a doctor is going to require you to speak to large groups somewhere down the line (your colleagues mainly). Don't fear the oral presentations, look to this as a practice run. Good luck! :luck:

I did a year long independent study in molecular biology, which included a long thesis (mine was approximately 50 pages; so painful!) and either an oral presentation or a poster presentation. I was terrified too, but the presentation wasn't bad. My friends and I stayed up late together the night before practicing and asking each other questions. I also practiced with a few professors the week before. I found that I was much better prepared than most other students at the conference, so I shouldn't have panicked. Just practice and you'll do well!