1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Has anyone here done a senior research project in their undergraduate years?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Neil45, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Neil45

Neil45 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I'm majoring in Biology, and the major requires we undergo an independent research project under the supervision of a professor. What was your experience with the research project? Did you have to make oral presentations in a public setting? I'm not very good with oral presentations at all, and I am nervous about that.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Punchap

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think a lot of undergraduate programs require their seniors to do some sort of research or project in order to graduate. I did not major in biology, but public health. We were required to conduct research (plan, implement and report). We ended up giving a couple of presentations and doing a poster session. You might be able to avoid this if you publish your findings. But chances are you will have to present it to somebody. Your future as a doctor is going to require you to speak to large groups somewhere down the line (your colleagues mainly). Don't fear the oral presentations, look to this as a practice run. Good luck! :luck:

4. BarelySane

BarelySane SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical, Resident [Any Field]
    I did a year long independent study in molecular biology, which included a long thesis (mine was approximately 50 pages; so painful!) and either an oral presentation or a poster presentation. I was terrified too, but the presentation wasn't bad. My friends and I stayed up late together the night before practicing and asking each other questions. I also practiced with a few professors the week before. I found that I was much better prepared than most other students at the conference, so I shouldn't have panicked. Just practice and you'll do well!