has anyone written...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbgandh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
idk some people call it a letter of intent? I interviewed at this one school and unfortunately didnt get in the first rounds. I havent been rejected yet, but with the low amount of seats they have, i think my chances might be slim. Does anyone think writing a letter stating that their school is my top choice, blah blah blah, and sending it before mid-January is a good idea? I figure it cant hurt, but I wanted some outside opinions.

thanks
--

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's OK as long as the letter is very well written. You don't want to come off the wrong way in a letter like that.

Personally I would think its a good gesture, however it may not mean anything to them unless you have an acceptance somewhere else and tell them that THEY are your #1.
There are lots of people who want to go to their school, but if you have an acceptance somewhere else and tell them that you'll drop it to go to their school, they would probably weigh that a little more.

Members don't see this ad :)
idk some people call it a letter of intent? I interviewed at this one school and unfortunately didnt get in the first rounds. I havent been rejected yet, but with the low amount of seats they have, i think my chances might be slim. Does anyone think writing a letter stating that their school is my top choice, blah blah blah, and sending it before mid-January is a good idea? I figure it cant hurt, but I wanted some outside opinions.

thanks
--

I think that a call to them is more personal and gives them the chance to hear your voice and all that jazz!!! Thoughts?

I personally think it's weird to write them a letter.

Do it. Write the letter. Make a call, too. In my LSU interview I was asked what I would do if I didn't get in and was accepted somewhere else...and I said I would call LSU and tell them I was in already somewhere else so please let me in....and I think he was pleased with that response. I got accepted 8 days later. I also told them if they accepted me I would fly down and use their phone to withdraw my application everywhere else.

I would highly recommend writing a letter of continued interest. You need to keep reminding them of yourself and how interested in the school you are. They are looking to accept people who want to go to their school and that's especially true for private schools. Be careful when writing it and make sure the wording and tone are right. You can certainly follow up on the letter with a polite phone call few weeks later.

Writing a letter is not at all a problem. I've done it. While I can't say that it helped me in my admission, it certainly didn't hurt and can tell you that if you want to do it, make sure you write it well. I think it's most effective if you've already been interviewed and write a follow-up letter stating your commitment to the school and that you were honored to have been considered.

i just wrote thank you notes to everyone i met at the interview, including the dean and adm director. That does the job - thank them for the interview opportunity and express your excitement about the school.

My question is: if you didn't get in the first round, but are not rejected either, who should you address your letter of continued interest to? Would it be better to address it to the admissions committee or to the admissions director or to the dean?

Thanks so much guys for your input and good luck to all :thumbup:

so you guys think it would be better to address it to the admissions committee? thanks...:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a really good thread floating around the pre-allo boards about how to write a letter of intent. I'll see if I can find it...

Thank you very much for your help :thumbup:

There was a really good thread floating around the pre-allo boards about how to write a letter of intent. I'll see if I can find it...

Last edited:
Do you think addressing it to "To Whom it may concern" would be better than addressing it to the "Admissions Committee"? Can we get more opinions on this? Thanks guys for your help :thumbup:

what about the classic "To whom it may concern?"

Last edited:
I really appreciate your input, Suzan. I think you are absolutely right that the body of the letter matters most. I am assuming we should include why we are interested in their school in the body of the letter. Do you think there's anything else that needs to be included? thanks so much :thumbup:

i think who it's addressed to is pretty trivial compared to the body, no?

but that's just me...

that's who i address it to if i have no clue and so far, no one has seemed to care

If you do write them a letter, be sure to make it personal, not "to whom it may concern." I wrote thank you letters to my interviewers and the admissions committee that I met, and I think bringing in a personal thing that triggers them to remember you... like "I really like when we talked about this... and it made my interview memorable" or something like that. I wrote thank you letters and I think it deff helped in my getting into a lot of schools. It shows interest. But I don't think writing a letter of intent is okay. It just seems awkward. Thank you letters are better.

If I were in your position, I would definitly write a letter of intent. However, make sure it is well written and gets your point across effectively.

I'd recommend calling to express interest and see if you've moved up on the waiting list. The ADCOM admins can be quite friendly and helpful on the phone. I asked if I should send an additional letter of reference; she scanned my file and said that my recs were really good and to call back in a couple weeks if I was still on the waiting list. I may follow up with a letter later addressed directly to the dean; I'll see if the admin thinks it's a good idea.

Personally I would think its a good gesture, however it may not mean anything to them unless you have an acceptance somewhere else and tell them that THEY are your #1.
There are lots of people who want to go to their school, but if you have an acceptance somewhere else and tell them that you'll drop it to go to their school, they would probably weigh that a little more.

do you name where else you got in or just that you have another acceptance? if it's at a school that is as good as theirs then the fact that you have an acceptance there might not be that much help, just saying that you have one could be better so that they are aware that you have options right?

but is it appropriate to name the other schools? and is it appropriate to name schools you have interviews at?

also what if you do it for more than one school, are they going to find out? and could they really turn around and hold you to your word saying you'll give up such and such interview for an interview and acceptance to their school?

I as told at one university from 3 dental students that they never got accepted to any schools that they never "followed up" on with one. :confused:

but will schools find out if you tell more than one in a formal letter that they are your top choice? enough to the point where you say that you would give up your seat elsewhere to attend there?

also, if you can name other schools where you have acceptance and interviews should you? i doubt they have time to tell that school you're so willing to give up their seat.