Has being a member of the APTA helped you professionally?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PROMKing

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
PT student graduating next May, wondering if I should rejoin (was a member when school paid for it my first year, didn't renew due to $$) before I start applying for jobs.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a good way of showing jobs that you are dedicated. I think the student rate is pretty cheap, so I'd recommend it. They have some free CEUs, other resources, and just think of it as buying into an organization that lobbies for you and your career!

I think APTA membership is the waste of money. Their "resources" are not much different from the ones you can find for free online for your schoolwork and/or if you are really going to spend hours on reading extra stuff in your free time.
During my job search, I saw maybe 1 add (out of a 50-70) that says APTA membership is a plus.
I did have to join APTA to go to their conference (school requirement) for $200 instead of $700 for non-members.
It's too eary for you to think about CEUs - you do not need them any time soon if you are still at school. Your future job may just pay for them.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't find my membership very helpful in regards to CEU's but that isn't why I am a member. I may disagree with the APTA on a lot of things but despite theirs flaws, they are very important to our profession and we might not ever have recovered from the 90s if it wasn't for the APTA. They are literally the only ones lobbying for our profession. I understand the dues get expensive (I do think they are significantly higher than they should be), but PT's that aren't members are essentially free loading on the benefits just by working in the profession. We all benefit from the work they do, whether you like the APTA or not. I know I may get a lot of hate for saying that. The APTA truly has made some seriously frustrating decisions but their existence is still extremely important. The wonderful thing is, if you don't like the things that are happening, then you can get involved.

So in that regard, I would say the APTA has helped me tremendously as a profressional. However, my dues are still very affordable because I am enrolled in a two years residency program (I have been out of school for a little over two years).

Reactions: 1 users