Has the average gaf gone down in the modern world?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreudsDaddy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't say I know any factual information about this but it just seems like if I had to guess, it seems like the average gaf(global assessment of functioning) of the modern world has gone down. I don't think there's been any studies done but what do you guys think? If you think it has gone down do you think its because of technology?(Cell phones, computers, more televisions ) I also don't know if technology has been shown to cause more stress but if technology does cause more stress then maybe technology is to blame for more mental illness?

I also think the reason mental illness is growing is because it comes in so many different forms and all effected with the gene, whether it be shadow syndrome or full blown illness can continue to breed. But also because mental illness by itself can't kill anyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Sadly a truth. But an aspect of all of medicine. We as physicians are active agents of disentropy and against natural selection. we fight every aspect of the weak falling apart. Genetically though I'm not sure it would lead to the loss of intelligence in society, since smart people do still find each other. More like a recessive gene. Tough to fully breed it out.

As for the GAF question, I'd say it's multifactorial, and our field is a little to blame, since biologizing every minor psychiatric disturbance leads to individuals believing it's all permanent, and not making efforts to recover, for many reasons. So rather than acute stress d/o stopping there, as it may have in older society, we stick with PTSD for much of life. Plus we further enable via rewarding illness in the current disability system, often giving permanent disability for conditions that shouldn't be permanently disabling (like MDD). All consequences of out overzealous attempt to educate the public, we've provided the public with incomplete information, showing a little knowledge can be a bad thing. Finally I think the inherent increase in narcissism in our society plays a role, where we have ridiculous expectations for ourselves and a sense of entitlement, so when life doesn't work out as expected, depression or other impairment sets in.

Members don't see this ad :)
When the standard of living goes up, more people can survive with less effort, thus allowing those that would've been otherwise killed off to live.

Sadly a truth. But an aspect of all of medicine. We as physicians are active agents of disentropy and against natural selection. we fight every aspect of the weak falling apart. Genetically though I'm not sure it would lead to the loss of intelligence in society, since smart people do still find each other. More like a recessive gene. Tough to fully breed it out.

As for the GAF question, I'd say it's multifactorial, and our field is a little to blame, since biologizing every minor psychiatric disturbance leads to individuals believing it's all permanent, and not making efforts to recover, for many reasons. So rather than acute stress d/o stopping there, as it may have in older society, we stick with PTSD for much of life. Plus we further enable via rewarding illness in the current disability system, often giving permanent disability for conditions that shouldn't be permanently disabling (like MDD). All consequences of out overzealous attempt to educate the public, we've provided the public with incomplete information, showing a little knowledge can be a bad thing. Finally I think the inherent increase in narcissism in our society plays a role, where we have ridiculous expectations for ourselves and a sense of entitlement, so when life doesn't work out as expected, depression or other impairment sets in.

Hmm, so do you think mental illnesses like schizophrenia and bipolar are caused not only by predispositions but also by the person creating mentally ill thoughts? Because I mean this is only a theory of mine but it seems to me that if you train a child who for instance both of his parents are schizophrenic and you train the child to think properly that his chances of getting the illness would be very small or nonexistent?

Basically I'm asking what role does positive thinking play in the mental health field? For instance if you had 100 children whos parents were all schizophrenic yet you trained each one to think properly and positive and avoid the pitfalls of negative thinking could that potentially benefit them? And if it will benefit them and help them to what extent?

Cause I know there's been twin studies done and you see a set of twins or even quadruplets who have the predisposition and sometimes maybe one of them don't become ill. Have we figured out why that is? Because if they are twins then they lived in the same household so the environment is pretty much the same.

I think it would be interesting actually to see siamese twins and those with the mental illness predispositions and see if every one of the twins gets ill or just one like regular twins.

Hmm, so do you think mental illnesses like schizophrenia and bipolar are caused not only by predispositions but also by the person creating mentally ill thoughts? Because I mean this is only a theory of mine but it seems to me that if you train a child who for instance both of his parents are schizophrenic and you train the child to think properly that his chances of getting the illness would be very small or nonexistent?

Basically I'm asking what role does positive thinking play in the mental health field? For instance if you had 100 children whos parents were all schizophrenic yet you trained each one to think properly and positive and avoid the pitfalls of negative thinking could that potentially benefit them? And if it will benefit them and help them to what extent?

Cause I know there's been twin studies done and you see a set of twins or even quadruplets who have the predisposition and sometimes maybe one of them don't become ill. Have we figured out why that is? Because if they are twins then they lived in the same household so the environment is pretty much the same.

I think it would be interesting actually to see siamese twins and those with the mental illness predispositions and see if every one of the twins gets ill or just one like regular twins.

I think positive thinking plays a relatively minimal role in schizophrenia. It may help a bit with depression, but that's about it. Believing positive thinking is a cure for everything is as reductionistic as is thinking everything happens at the synapse (biological reductionism). In reality things are way way more complex than that, IMHO.

Twin studies definitely exist, and touch on the inherent complexity of mental illness. To be a bit but not fully reductionistic, there's probably a genetic vulnerability, an aspect that stress and other factors activate or deactivate certain genes, and aspects of the illness that perpetuates itself. Then there's further organic factors like drugs which have their own influence. Positive thinking might slightly prevent someone from fully decompensating, but it's doubtful that it would change the underlying nature of the illness.

Historically they used to think psychosis represented the internalization of a chaotic world, so the sanitariums would be in the country in immaculately landscaped scenery. It might have lessened the confinement, but it didn't get rid of the illness.

The real answer is that there's too many factors still we can't quantify. And though lack of evidence is not equivalent to evidence of lack, I know of absolutely zero evidence that someone strongly predisposed to psychosis could be prevented from this through positive thinking. That being said there is some evidence that those with prodromal psychosis have as much improvement from CBT as they do from medications in terms of prevention development of full schizophrenia. But CBT is not positive thinking.

Mood disorders are another story, and rewarding negativistic thinking I think can perpetuate the condition. Anxiety disorders as well. Check out the book Somatoform Disorders: A Medicolegal Guide by Michael Trimble, which talks about Railroad spine. In the 19th century apparently during the railroad lines being built there was a shift towards thinking of putting the responsibility on employers for the health of their employees (a novel idea at the time). This led to a condition where workers would get hunched over and it was believed they had injuries and pain from hammering the spikes into the tracks. They of course sued, even though they could never find any actual organic pathology behind the condition. As this proceeded the condition got more and more prevalent, as lawsuits went on. Eventually the railroad industry stopped paying, and guess what -- the condition wasn't heard of again.

I think we should be rewarding recovery in most conditions, or at least efforts in it. Psychosis might be an exception, though. Many mood and anxiety disorders should be treatable if the individual is engaged in trying to get better, but if they have an incentive to stay sick, they'll only want to get better enough to survive, but still get their incentives. Tough and complex, and there isn't an easy answer. I'm not saying there is, by any means. But I see way too many patients who want disability not because they're permanently disabled but because it eases their life, taking away the responsibility to seek out work. It discourages the hell out of me as a clinician.

Last edited:
I think positive thinking plays a relatively minimal role in schizophrenia. It may help a bit with depression, but that's about it. Believing positive thinking is a cure for everything is as reductionistic as is thinking everything happens at the synapse (biological reductionism). They both miss the larger picture, IMHO.

Twin studies definitely exist, and touch on the inherent complexity of mental illness. To be a bit but not fully reductionistic, there's probably a genetic vulnerability, an aspect that stress and other factors activate or deactivate certain genes, and aspects of the illness that perpetuates itself. Then there's further organic factors like drugs which have their own influence. Positive thinking might slightly prevent someone from fully decompensating, but it's doubtful that it would change the underlying nature of the illness.

Historically they used to think psychosis represented the internalization of a chaotic world, so the sanitariums would be in the country in immaculately landscaped scenery. It might have lessened the confinement, but it didn't get rid of the illness.

The real answer is that there's too many factors still we can't quantify. And though lack of evidence is not equivalent to evidence of lack, I know of absolutely zero evidence that someone strongly predisposed to psychosis could be prevented from this through positive thinking. That being said there is some evidence that those with prodromal psychosis have as much improvement from CBT as they do from medications in terms of prevention development of full schizophrenia. But CBT is not positive thinking.

Mood disorders are another story, and rewarding negativistic thinking I think can perpetuate the condition. Anxiety disorders as well. Check out the book Somatoform Disorders: A Medicolegal Guide by Michael Trimble, which talks about Railroad spine. In the 19th century apparently during the railroad lines being built there was a shift towards thinking of putting the responsibility on employers for the health of their employees (a novel idea at the time). This led to a condition where workers would get hunched over and it was believed they had injuries and pain from hammering the spikes into the tracks. They of course sued, even though they could never find any actual organic pathology behind the condition. As this proceeded the condition got more and more prevalent, as lawsuits went on. Eventually the railroad industry stopped paying, and guess what -- the condition wasn't heard of again.

I think we should be rewarding recovery in most conditions, or at least efforts in it. Psychosis might be an exception, though. Many mood and anxiety disorders should be treatable if the individual is engaged in trying to get better, but if they have an incentive to stay sick, they'll only want to get better enough to survive, but still get their incentives. Tough and complex, and there isn't an easy answer. I'm not saying there is, by any means. But I see way too many patients who want disability not because they're permanently disabled but because it eases their life, taking away the responsibility to seek out work. It discourages the hell out of me as a clinician.

Where do you lump schizoaffective into? Mood disorder or psychotic disorder? I know it has both features but do you agree with it getting taken out of the dsm? If schizoaffective by itself doesn't deserve its own label then what do we classify schizoaffective as? Severe bipolar disorder? Cause I don't think it can just be lumped in with schizophrenia when schizophrenia doesn't have mood disturbances.

Where do you lump schizoaffective into? Mood disorder or psychotic disorder? I know it has both features but do you agree with it getting taken out of the dsm? If schizoaffective by itself doesn't deserve its own label then what do we classify schizoaffective as? Severe bipolar disorder? Cause I don't think it can just be lumped in with schizophrenia when schizophrenia doesn't have mood disturbances.

You're touching on a hot topic in the field, where some think bipolar and schizophrenia are all different ends of a schizoaffective spectrum. The bigger practical issue is that it's considered a "garbage pail" diagnosis for those that have had episodes that look like both. It allows for diagnostic laziness, or an easy out for our all too muddied histories with patients.

My cheat of an answer is to put it into psychotic disorders, because I think those are a very distinct group of illnesses, but that we should still treat the mood symptoms as well. In the end we treat symptoms with meds, not disorders. If someone's psychotic, you don't expect a mood stabalizer will get rid of it. Usually.