Has this whole admission process made anyone else really crazy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grinningrice

Clean your dentures!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that I look back on it all, I realized that I have become a little bit crazy ever since September-December first. I woke up in cold sweat during thanksgiving break screaming "no, no, I WILL NOT BE DEFERRED!" I also called all the dental schools so much, I kept all the office of admission numbers in my cell phone! Not to mention, Im on here so much. Its so pathetic, its funny.

Members don't see this ad.

Has it ever gotten me crazy? Waiting for the mailman has become both a hobby and an obsession. I've actually timed how long it takes the mailman to get from one end of the block to the other (where my house is located). In fact, my girlfriend has jumped on the insanity bandwagon, as well. She calls me 3 times a day asking, "Any news?" I've also dubbed this November as the "interminable month." It felt as if December 1st would never arrive and now that it is here and gone, the waiting continues. The insanity will continue until I hear from all of the schools to which I applied, and I make a decision.

Dr.Bear said:
I've also dubbed this November as the "interminable month."

I have referred to to 12/1 as "D-Day."

Members don't see this ad :)
So are you implying that compulsive email-checking (every five minutes), mailman-haunting, and saving AADSAS's number on one's cell phone aren't normal? that they are, in fact, signs of incipient madness?? I'm shocked... :laugh:

so now the real challenge: find an applicant who hasn't been obssesing the whole of the fall '04 semester (and i'm not talking about someone with a 4.0, 25/24, and an AADSAS # of 3) - i'm guessing it won't be that easy, at least from what i've seen here. but hey, going slowly insane is all part of the fun, right??

and or those of us who are still waiting: :luck: :luck:

Tzips said:
So are you implying that compulsive email-checking (every five minutes)

Thats weak I got one of these so its checked instantly 24/7 wherever I am :D

7100t.jpg

Dr.Bear said:
Has it ever gotten me crazy? Waiting for the mailman has become both a hobby and an obsession. I've actually timed how long it takes the mailman to get from one end of the block to the other (where my house is located). In fact, my girlfriend has jumped on the insanity bandwagon, as well. She calls me 3 times a day asking, "Any news?" I've also dubbed this November as the "interminable month." It felt as if December 1st would never arrive and now that it is here and gone, the waiting continues. The insanity will continue until I hear from all of the schools to which I applied, and I make a decision.
That is friggin hilarious!!

DrTacoElf said:
Thats weak I got one of these so its checked instantly 24/7 wherever I am :D

:laugh: :laugh:
probably should've gotten one of those myself, but since i'm on the computer all day anyways (i have a laptop and my school has a wireless), i figured anything more is just feeding my insanity....

I don't know about crazy. I would say that this cycle has worn me out to the point of exhaustion and I have never been so broke in my life. I don't know if me or my wallet could stand another round.

hrm i am not home when the mail man comes stupid man comes between 2-4 no t sure of the excat time b/c thats when my class is. but i call my mom every 1 hour to ask if the mail man came. and today at 8 o'clock knowing that there is no mailman yet, i asked my mom has the mail came yet. she is like whats wrong with you!@"?# i was like i was just checking. i did the same thign on sunday

By the time I december came around I had NO motivation to do any school work, i just wanted to wait by the mailbox. For the last few months Sundays have been worthless to me.

drtagman said:
For the last few months Sundays have been worthless to me.

:laugh:

totally agree with you there. it's just a day in between the saturday mail and the monday mail - what's with the whole 'no mail on sundays', anyways??? are mail people really so religious that they can't do any work? frustrating.

i am not saying this process has made me nuts, but my new voice message says,"no mail yet today" because I know that's all anyone who is calling me now wants to know. Until my first letter came, I obsessed that my mail box was too small to fit an acceptance letter.
Why don't all schools use Buffalo's method to notify? It makes more sense to me, to have us all be able to go online at a minute past midnight on Dec 1st, enter a personal code number and find out our status. It would be just as private as receiving mail and it would save the schools the initial mailing cost which must add up, especially for those who send certified. It would prevent the agony of wondering if your letter was lost. It would be more foolproof than emails which can wind up in spam mail. I can't imagine that entering this information online would be any more work for the schools than sending out letters. It would seem to be a solution that would help both sides involved. On our part, people in all parts of the country could find out at the same time even those in rural areas with slow mail delivery and for the schools' part, they would not have to be inundated with phone calls from those of us who can't wait for the mailman.

Remind me to never take classes the same time I am applying, school work and the motivation to do school work is really lacking, not to mention work as well. I know my mail man by name, thats the scarry thing.
Our conversations-
usually start
"hey ronnie"
He smiles, says "no" I don't have to say anything other than hey ronnie. Thats pathetic if you ask me, now that I think about it.
Hands me the bills and magazine, and off he goes.

Hd :laugh:

I second the "sunday is a useless" day~ It's a day that I know I won't hear anything, but does that make me stop checking e-mail? NO! Do I stop thinking about it for a second? Nope! You would think in the "internet world" that we live in, that all acceptances would be electronic, but they aren't. I would be totally thrilled if they would send it out via e-mail, but even better, I will do the work.. just tell where to check and when.. and I will do it.
I am not in school right now. I am done... and I am working... and believe it or not, I would rather be in school right now. I could FORCE myself to concentrate on school, but I can't FORCE myself to concentrate on work that I am simply doing to earn money for dental school.

The wait continues.........

hockeydentist said:
Remind me to never take classes the same time I am applying, school work and the motivation to do school work is really lacking, not to mention work as well. I know my mail man by name, thats the scarry thing.
Our conversations-
usually start
"hey ronnie"
He smiles, says "no" I don't have to say anything other than hey ronnie. Thats pathetic if you ask me, now that I think about it.
Hands me the bills and magazine, and off he goes.

Hd :laugh:
Seriously, when picking classes this semester, I picked a bunch of really hard classes(im taking 7 classes 5 are upper level science), I knew that schools would look at what I took not so much my grades. I was banking on being accepted somewhere by december first. Between studying for the DAT and all the interviews and waiting, Im definitly looking at having 2 Cs this semester:-( Hopefully the other schools will still accept me
Also, you know your pathetic when you call the office of admissions so many times they recognize your voice.

I don't even understand why some of you guys are stressing ??

at least you got IN somewhere !!!!! what if you were in my position ?

NO interviewS, no nothing ??

Relax !!!!!!

TCB said:
I don't even understand why some of you guys are stressing ??

at least you got IN somewhere !!!!! what if you were in my position ?

NO interviewS, no nothing ??

Relax !!!!!!
Im really sorry that you have not gotten in somewhere yet, Im sure you will. Its still early, and there are still accepting people all the way to April and even some in May. The purpose of me starting this thread was not to make anyone feel bad, but to really laugh at myself. I know that alot of us can use a laugh because its been a stressful time for everyone. I look back at my neuroticness and laugh, thats how I keep sane.