Have an offer, with additional interviews....

Started by g40631
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

g40631

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok so here is the story. I just received an offer to sign on as a grad intern at my current employer. I really like my current employer and am happy to be working with them. Here is the thing: they gave me a really short time span to respond, so with no other current offers and the rough economic climate, I chose to accept it. However, since it had taken quite a bit amount of time from the point of my interviewing to stay with them and now, I decided to send my CV for a few half-staff/half-clinical positions in the area. I got 2 interviews.

I didn't get/read my offer until Friday after 5 PM and I had an interview scheduled this morning. I pretty much had to go based on professional courtesy alone. There was no questions during the interview regarding whether or not I had received another offer. I wasn't overly impressed with the interview so I feel that I will email them tomorrow to explain that I had signed elsewhere just now and thank them for the interest.

Here's the kicker: I have another interview with an institution next week that I know could be potentially great. I would hate to at least not interview with them and lose that opportunity. What is the professional standard here? I am signed with another company for a promotion (not under contract). Should I be making my current company aware, and should I be making the institution that is about to interview me aware as well? Perhaps I could call them ahead of time to discuss my current situation? Would love the advice. Thanks.