Have Any of You Ever Been In an Interview Where The Interviewer Said Something Rude?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lesion Of Doom

The Hemi-neglected One
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was in an interview for a prelim position. The interview day had the feeling of moving along well until I got to one guy who appeared to be a alright kind of guy but when I made a positive comment about the program, he said something that I really felt like was not necessary and when I think about it more I feel that it was just a plain rude thing to say. I can't mention what he said but I didn't like it and I really felt like leaving afterwards.

What he said really isn't something that is reportable or any thing like that but I believe that if he felt that way, I should have never even been invited for the interview. I assume that some of the attendings that interview you have no say so in who gets invited for an interview or not. The strange thing about it is that it was a comment directed at something that I have been getting praise for in almost all of my interviews. Needless to say, I won't be going back there.

Members don't see this ad.

I was at an interview where the guy asked me about an interest of mine (concerning medicine) and when I told him he made some comment about how it wasn't important and I thought he was being sarcastic so I kinda laughed and jokingly agreed with him. He was SERIOUS!! Then proceeded to tell me how it was a waste of time. I was so shocked! First that he felt that way and then that he would be rude enough to tell me. At least it was now and not after I matched there. That place is literally at the bottom of my list.
I would love to know what this person said to you!

I had an interviewer at a prelim position ask me what I thought were my strengths and what was important for me in a program, so I said that it's very important for me to get along with the residents among other things....and he goes well we don't really care if you really fit or get along with the residents, we expect you to work very hard and that's it :scared: ....definitely not ranking the program at all!!

Members don't see this ad :)
kima said:
I had an interviewer at a prelim position ask me what I thought were my strengths and what was important for me in a program, so I said that it's very important for me to get along with the residents among other things....and he goes well we don't really care if you really fit or get along with the residents, we expect you to work very hard and that's it :scared: ....definitely not ranking the program at all!!

My experience was sort of similar. The interviewer asked me about my IM clerkship experience. I told him how attendings were great teachers and went on how pleasant all of they were. He then said well they seem to think you are very pleasant as well but patients don't need someone who is pleasant, they just need someone to cure them. He then just quickly skimmed my application and said "we'll, there is nothing I can tell you about your application that you don't know already."

What ever happened to healing the person as well as the disease? I don't even know what to say about that last part.