Have any of you ever been on probation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudforum

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ask this because I am. I want to know your experience and the outcome of it all. Was the process fair? Who was your advocate?

Members don't see this ad.

I ask this because I am. I want to know your experience and the outcome of it all. Was the process fair? Who was your advocate?

One of my old residents in OB/GYN was on probation. He was really nice, but rubbed most of the attendings and other residents the wrong way. Anyhow, I can't quite remember why he was put on probation, but I think the jist of it was that he told someone off... can't remember who... or his attitute or something. Anyhow, he came back after a month of probation, and still had probs with the other residents/attendings.. but made it through (there were also competency issues). He is now a senior and I believe this is his last year... most of us med students felt bad for him, he was always picked on by everyone... nurses, residents, attendings in the absolute WORST hospital in the midwest... nevertheless he's almost done and warned all of us to NEVER do residency at that hospital... but as an FMG he didn't have much of a choice.

So to the OP, hang in there... there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
GOOD LUCK :)

I knew this really nice guy last year who had many 'emotional'/'depression' problems. He was doing a Sports Med fellowship (after FM) and could not get his 'act' together. He missed surgery days, showed up to clinic late etc.... moped around the clinic when he was there... wasn't good. They put him on probation towards the end of the year (fellowship is only one year thank goodness), but he managed to pass and currently holds a job. I will mention that his job is in a remote area out West. He had difficulty finding a job too! Was interviewed at many places but never the landed the job... until finally this remote location took him in.

The same individual almost failed his boards and had to scramble in his MS4 year.... BUT look he has a decent jobs makes approx 150K and is doing alright now.... still single and lonely but.... at least things are looking better!