Have I been passed over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MavsFanForLife

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I submitted my application on June 1st and the secondary applications to most schools soon after, is it safe to say that I have been passed over by schools that have already been handing out interviews to students who applied after me?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's what I posted to someone else:

NO. I think I should add that to that thread* bc I see this asked so much. Just because they got interviews and they submitted after you does not mean you won't hear back. Maybe they had some special connection in their ECs that you don't know about that the school really liked. Maybe you're on the verge of getting an interview and they just haven't gotten around to calling you yet. Maybe they're just holding onto you to see what kinds of other people have yet to apply.

* meaning the one I created that was combined with Scumbag Steve's thread

Basically just sit tight and wait as patiently as you can. No one knows how schools operate, and honestly the application process is a crapshoot. It sucks and it's hard, but good luck :) You'll hear back soon.

Reactions: 2 users
Its not over till it’s over

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been feeling the same way after seeing people get interviews from my top schools. I'm even second guessing my supplemental answers and feel I should've said something else. But like allantois said, "its not over till it's over". It's only August after all. We still have September, October, all the way to March or April sometimes.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been feeling the same way after seeing people get interviews from my top schools. I'm even second guessing my supplemental answers and feel I should've said something else. But like allantois said, "its not over till it's over". It's only August after all. We still have September, October, all the way to March or April sometimes.

It’s gonna be a long 8 months...

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted the day it opened and got interviews from september to february, all the schools got my app at the same time right? Dont worry

Reactions: 7 users
Some schools will tell the earliest submitters that just because you didn't get an August or September invite doesn't mean you can't get an October or later invite. I sometimes wonder if it is just then trying to sugarcoat an intended rejection.

Anyways, can you generally assume that you are still being considered until you receive a rejection letter? In other words, dental schools will at least have the decency to inform you either way, unlike some companies when you apply for their jobs, right?

I don't think half of the schools I've applied to have even begun seriously reviewing apps yet, especially the private ones

Anyways, can you generally assume that you are still being considered until you receive a rejection letter? In other words, dental schools will at least have the decency to inform you either way, unlike some companies when you apply for their jobs, right?
Not always. I've read in some of these threads that current dental students still have not (years later) heard back from a school that they applied to.