Have I ruined my chance of getting into a top IM program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

hannah

I just got my step 1 score, which is 195/80. Do I still have a chance to match a top IM program since IM is not very competitive? I'm also thinking of Emergency medicine. I figure that I probably have less chance to match EM. Will honors in IM or EM help? How about a good step 2 score?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi:

Having lower board scores will hurt you for some of the academic IM programs. But as I just wrote in another thread, an "audition rotation" at programs where you really want to go can help a lot. People want to work with people they know and like and I've heard PDs say over and over "the more of a 'known entity' you are the better". Good Luck!

M-

Many IM programs use cut-off USMLE scores for screening who to interview. During my interview year, I recall either seeing in the brochures or hearing through the grapevine, etc. that 200 was the cut-off for a handful of programs that I applied to. This included some strong community programs so I suspect that it could be higher in what others might call "top-tier" programs. I agree with the advice of picking 1 or 2 programs that really interest you and doing an audition rotation. If you're really good, this can do you wonders. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
All is not lost! First, the most important factor is to do well in IM - get an H. Second, do the audition rotation. Third, Take step two early, with the understanding that you need to do very well on it. If you do very well it will offset your low Step I score. Lastly, as you said, IM is not as competitive. The top tier programs are very competitive, so you may not qualify for an interview. But, there are a lot of IM programs and a good number of them are excellent, not just the "top tier" ones. So, ddon't worry and try to do well in the field you are going into. Remember, a big name does not mean better education necessarily. It may give you more access to research but may also provide you with less time to do it. So, there are a lot of factors to consider.
Good luck!
Dani

Do you guys think having an advanced degree (eg. Ph.D) may help me somewaht in getting into the top-tier with bad score?

I think it will help some. It will certainly not hurt, especially if you are interested in doing some research. At the least, it will separate you for most of the applicants. Do your best, don't worry and definitely apply. The only guranteed way not to get in is not to apply.
Dani

As I've posted before, IM programs, even the top ones, look at more than just board scores. Clerkship evals mean quite a bit, and letters from the right folks do as well. Programs do use scores as a cut-off, but one way to circumvent that is to do an away rotation there, where you get a chance to interact with faculty and other residents. Top IM programs love MD/PhDs -- they tend to become academicians themselves and like begets like. So definitely an advantage as well. As said before, just apply and let your application as a whole stand on its own.