Have I ruined my chances for OBGYN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreenTshirt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From the little you have posted I think you would have a better shot at a community program. I don't know how that would get you to a fellowship. Not saying it is impossible but it would be a struggle.

You can match at a community program or a lower tier academic program. Won't be a place like Hopkins or UCSF for example.

You can match MFM and FPMRS from a community program. I know because of I have done it and my coresidents had done it as well. Interviewed at all the major academic programs and matched a desirable place coming from a community residency. It's an uphill battle to an extent though. MFM is possible just because there are a lot of MFM fellowships out there and their programs are not name ****** to the extent of Gyn Onc and REI.

Gyn Onc fellowship is a tougher match. Need to have well connected faculty and be at a well regarded program and preferably a program with a fellowship. Well regarded doesn't automatically mean better trained etc. Just a name program. This is something that gyn onc fellowships care about. You will not match Gyn Onc coming from most community programs. Just a fact of life.

You overall application is average. Not stellar but not horrible. If you apply broadly you can match. If you are dead set on doing gyn oncology, that may be a tougher road to go and I wouldn't recommend doing an OB GYN residency if you would be unhappy doing OB as that will compromise over 50% of your training.

You will get a few extra interviews by virtue of being male. Won't help in the ranking process though to be honest.

Talk with your Chair and PD. Get their advice. Do a Sub I in MFM or something to get some letters. See if they can make some calls on your behalf as well.

Research is nice, but OB GYN PDs don't really value it. It is a clinical residency and in general there is no interest in developing physician scientists. That is different if you are a MFM or Gyn Onc but your typical program, even academic program only gives lip service to research for residents

Members don't see this ad :)
You can match at a community program or a lower tier academic program. Won't be a place like Hopkins or UCSF for example.

You can match MFM and FPMRS from a community program. I know because of I have done it and my coresidents had done it as well. Interviewed at all the major academic programs and matched a desirable place coming from a community residency. It's an uphill battle to an extent though. MFM is possible just because there are a lot of MFM fellowships out there and their programs are not name ****** to the extent of Gyn Onc and REI.

Gyn Onc fellowship is a tougher match. Need to have well connected faculty and be at a well regarded program and preferably a program with a fellowship. Well regarded doesn't automatically mean better trained etc. Just a name program. This is something that gyn onc fellowships care about. You will not match Gyn Onc coming from most community programs. Just a fact of life.

You overall application is average. Not stellar but not horrible. If you apply broadly you can match. If you are dead set on doing gyn oncology, that may be a tougher road to go and I wouldn't recommend doing an OB GYN residency if you would be unhappy doing OB as that will compromise over 50% of your training.

You will get a few extra interviews by virtue of being male. Won't help in the ranking process though to be honest.

Talk with your Chair and PD. Get their advice. Do a Sub I in MFM or something to get some letters. See if they can make some calls on your behalf as well.

Research is nice, but OB GYN PDs don't really value it. It is a clinical residency and in general there is no interest in developing physician scientists. That is different if you are a MFM or Gyn Onc but your typical program, even academic program only gives lip service to research for residents

Thank you for your answer! When you say lower tier academics, what places do you have in mind? I tried looking up stats on APGO or doximity but I have no idea how much weight to put on their average step 1 scores (seems outdated). I'm particularly looking to stay in the midwest or go to the southeast, if that helps narrow down some places.