have some questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jay741

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi im new here to the forum and im trying to find out some info. From what i understand the pharmacy programs are 6 years long one of my questions is can you do your first 2 years at say a community college to get what ever regular classes you need out of the way? then could you go into a pharmacy program for the last 4 years im just wondering if this is possible. i live in ri an graduated high school in 2010 and i really want to become a pharmacist. so my main question would be can you transfer into a parmacy program after 2 years at community college. also when looking to get into a pharmacy program what are the schools really looking for? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hi im new here to the forum and im trying to find out some info. From what i understand the pharmacy programs are 6 years long one of my questions is can you do your first 2 years at say a community college to get what ever regular classes you need out of the way? then could you go into a pharmacy program for the last 4 years im just wondering if this is possible. i live in ri an graduated high school in 2010 and i really want to become a pharmacist. so my main question would be can you transfer into a parmacy program after 2 years at community college. also when looking to get into a pharmacy program what are the schools really looking for? thanks

There are basically 3 ways to get into a pharmacy school:

1) "0-6" These programs go directly from high school into an undergraduate non-degree granting program and after 2 years you go into the PharmD program (also called 2+4 I think).

2) 2 years CC ---> Pharmacy school. Some people never get a bachelor's degree nor go to a 4 year school and still get into pharmacy school.

3) 4 year school ---> pharmacy school.

It's not called a transfer in any event.

Top 3 things generally schools are looking for:

1) GPA
2) PCAT score if applicable
3) Extra-curriculars (such as pharmacy experience, leadership experience, etc)

A desire to become a pharmacist based on something other than the paycheck will help as well. (In the personal statement and the interview).

There are basically 3 ways to get into a pharmacy school:

1) "0-6" These programs go directly from high school into an undergraduate non-degree granting program and after 2 years you go into the PharmD program (also called 2+4 I think).

2) 2 years CC ---> Pharmacy school. Some people never get a bachelor's degree nor go to a 4 year school and still get into pharmacy school.

3) 4 year school ---> pharmacy school.

It's not called a transfer in any event.

Top 3 things generally schools are looking for:

1) GPA
2) PCAT score if applicable
3) Extra-curriculars (such as pharmacy experience, leadership experience, etc)

A desire to become a pharmacist based on something other than the paycheck will help as well. (In the personal statement and the interview).

0-6 is straight out of high school (exactly what you described above), 2+4 is going the CC route (2) and getting accepted to a four year program after that (4). 2+3 is two years undergrad + 3 year accelerated program.

Members don't see this ad :)
0-6 is straight out of high school (exactly what you described above), 2+4 is going the CC route (2) and getting accepted to a four year program after that (4). 2+3 is two years undergrad + 3 year accelerated program.

My method was far less confusing. Your post was superfluous. You will be assimilated.

:laugh:

This is completely off topic, but how's the project you were working on coming along?

Very slowly. It is under review. You can bet I will be excited if it goes through. I should know pretty soon one way or the other.

I wonder if that's sounds vague enough to everyone who does not know what we are talking about? :laugh:

Don't forget to send me your address!

Members don't see this ad :)
Very slowly. It is under review. You can bet I will be excited if it goes through. I should know pretty soon one way or the other.

I wonder if that's sounds vague enough to everyone who does not know what we are talking about? :laugh:

Don't forget to send me your address!

Yeah, I was trying to be a vague as possible while still indicating what I was talking about. I'm not sure how secretive you've been about it :laugh:

I actually need to figure out what address to give you since I'm moving next week.

Yeah, I was trying to be a vague as possible while still indicating what I was talking about. I'm not sure how secretive you've been about it :laugh:

I actually need to figure out what address to give you since I'm moving next week.

Give me the "new" address and indicate when you will be moving in.

And it's so secretive my shadow does not know what we are taking about. It is above top secret. It is need to know only. ;)

I am really not liking where this is going. Don't make me lock this thread! I'll do it!

I'm pretty sure a few months ago I told you you would never regret working out. How's that going for you?

I'm pretty sure a few months ago I told you you would never regret working out. How's that going for you?

And this thread keeps getting worse and worse.

I started a simple workout routine at the start of summer and quickly stopped. It is hard to break a lifetime of bad habits.

And this thread keeps getting worse and worse.

I started a simple workout routine at the start of summer and quickly stopped. It is hard to break a lifetime of bad habits.

I hear that. It took me a LONG time before I finally changed myself.

Any tips on what worked for you?

I was about 60 pounds over weight and I finally had enough. It's something you really have to want to do for yourself, and throw the excuses out the window. Getting accepted to pharmacy school gave me the confidence I needed because it made me realize I could accomplish anything I set my mind to.

It was difficult the first month or so, but I felt so much better that it made me want to continue. It's been a little over a year and I'm in the healthy BMI range, and I don't plan on stopping because I actually enjoy working out now.:eek:

ok thank you for the information guys i will pry have more in the future thanks

While we're on the topic of making corrections,

Surely you realize whom you're talking to here :laugh:

:smuggrin:

OP, if you're looking to transfer into a 6-year program, it is possible, and you'll start in the 3rd year of the 6-year program. But,

Transfers

• Transfer students are admitted only into Year 3 of the program.
  • Year 3 transfer openings are only available if students who entered as freshmen leave the program. Therefore, students should not plan on entering the program as a transfer students as it is uncertain how many, if any, transfer spots will be available.

This is just one school though, so you'll have to find policies from multiple schools to see if they do similar things.

Whom is only correct if you are referring to the object of a sentence and not the subject. Are you calling me the object? :mad:

I forgot to reply to this.

No I'm not. Because if you were, you wouldn't show emotions :smuggrin: :laugh: :D

Hey, I may be a proofreader but I'm no grammar nazi :laugh:

Besides, according to Owle my usage was correct! Ha! :smuggrin:

(I have no idea if it actually was though.)

bob is right. I was making an extremely corny joke about how I am not an object. But actually I was the object of the sentence so "whom" is correct. I love grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/ for when I am unsure about a particularity of grammar.

I will let it go this time, but in the future I will expect better from a proofreader. :smuggrin:

all right bob, you win this round...

biggrin.gif

bob is right. I was making an extremely corny joke about how I am not an object. But actually I was the object of the sentence so "whom" is correct. I love grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/ for when I am unsure about a particularity of grammar.

I will let it go this time, but in the future I will expect better from a proofreader. :smuggrin:

So I tried the address and it's an actual website. Unlike the one about dating a tech.

So I tried the address and it's an actual website. Unlike the one about dating a tech.

Have I ever posted a bad link? Was it about dating a tech? I don't get the reference.

Of course it is a real site. I use it a lot for my proofreading. I love her writing style and humor.

Sorry if this question is posted elsewhere on the forums but....

What is the 0-6 route and how can I apply for it?

I'm not sure what route I'm doing but I want to finish pharmacy early but I think I'm applying for the 2+4.

Colleges I'm planning to apply to are USC, UCSD, UOP, Northeastern, Uni Texas (Austin), Uni Washington, and Purdue Uni.

I'm applying to those because they appear on the list of combined bachelor's/ graduate program in pharmacy...which from my understanding will allow me to finish my pharmacy education in 6 years rather than 8 years. Would this be the so-called 2+4?

Is the 0-6 option better than the 2+4? What are the differences between the two routes? What colleges offer the 0-6 route?

Again, I apologize if these questions have been answered already. :(

Lastly, thank you for the responses.