Have to file FAFSA?

Started by RdBruce
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RdBruce

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I'm not expecting need or merit-based financial aid, do I need to file a FAFSA?
 
If you want federal student loans, then yes, but you won't need your parent's info for just loans alone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How are you financing it without student loans?

There are several folks in the non-trad forums who simply write a check or seek alternate financing such as a home equity loan. Some traditional students come from wealthy families. Given the new terms on Stafford loans, it is counterproductive to take out a genuine student loan if there are better alternatives out there.

And to answer the OP, I've never filed a FAFSA, and I've been to four undergraduate institutions. The only time I had to release my taxes was to a state residency certifying officer. Their job was to verify my state of residence, and I believe they never released my financial information to the schools... just a stamp of approval that I am indeed a Montana resident. If I wasn't trying to get Montana resident benefits from nearby state medical schools, I wouldn't have ever had to release my taxes.

I've never had to pester my parents for their tax returns.