Have to file FAFSA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RdBruce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm not expecting need or merit-based financial aid, do I need to file a FAFSA?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want federal student loans, then yes, but you won't need your parent's info for just loans alone.

Do I have to release my or my parents' tax info if I'm not filing a FAFSA?

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you financing it without student loans?

There are several folks in the non-trad forums who simply write a check or seek alternate financing such as a home equity loan. Some traditional students come from wealthy families. Given the new terms on Stafford loans, it is counterproductive to take out a genuine student loan if there are better alternatives out there.

And to answer the OP, I've never filed a FAFSA, and I've been to four undergraduate institutions. The only time I had to release my taxes was to a state residency certifying officer. Their job was to verify my state of residence, and I believe they never released my financial information to the schools... just a stamp of approval that I am indeed a Montana resident. If I wasn't trying to get Montana resident benefits from nearby state medical schools, I wouldn't have ever had to release my taxes.

I've never had to pester my parents for their tax returns.