Have to get into Int Med PGY1...Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bhavu

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people!

This is the story - Step 1 score in the 70s and step 2 score in the early 80s (both 1st attempts), am a U.S. Permanent resident, FMG from India - finished med school 2 years back, have done observership/research work in the U.S. and have good letters of recommendation from U.S. doctors.
HAVE TO, HAVE TO get into an Int Medicine residency program in 2003........preferably in the NY, NJ, PA area. Qs are:

a) What are my chances of getting in?
b) Which are good places to apply for a person with my background?
c) What have been the trends over the past year or two regarding FMGs getting into residency programs?

Any help will be highly appreciated...Thank you!

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Call Trinitas in Elizabeth, NJ. It's a solid program with a few FG's.

I would recommend looking at a few schools in PA.

1. Pinnacle Health System in Harrisburg, PA
2. Conemaugh Memorial Hospital, Johnstown, PA
3. Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
4. Mercy Fitzgerald, Philadelphia, PA
5. Drexel University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA

These are the schools I know in PA that have a history of matching FMG's. Conemaugh is primarily run by FMG's, many from India. Pinnacle also has mainly FMG's, but not so many from India. AGH and Drexel have about a 70-30 split of USMG/FMG. Drexel is getting a little more competative now. Mercy has many FMG's and DO's in their program. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should also consider Abington Memorial Hospital, which is right outside of philadelphia. Most of the residents there are FMGs.

Good Luck