have to retake a prereq should I apply this cycle or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silverbutter

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So long story short I had a lot of horrible events (deaths in the family and associated things) befall me this past academic year(my Senior year) and it kind of pushed everything back so much so that I took a stacked fall and spring while part-timing MCAT studying and working. and through it all my total GPA should be around 3.79 but I got a C- in Physics 2, everything else on my application is alright, a publication (200 hours most overnight) A's in all my sciences (except phys 2). I'm still waiting on my MCAT score (which comes out May 14th let's say 510), letters of recommendation from the resident director at a local trauma center, and some profs ample clinical(800 hrs) and non clinical (500 hrs) exp. that both correlate to my overall story, said hours include volunteering, shadowing, and both clinical and nonclinical work. Originally I planned on applying June, but a C- in a prereq is an app killer so I signed up for a retake (both Phys's will appear on transcript phys 2 (in the spring term) as a C- and Phys 2 (summer) has nothing. SO should I even bother applying in June and hope they catch the retake in progress or am I cooked and send everything out in July? (transcript finally updates July 2nd)

I live in PA

Members don't see this ad.

So long story short I had a lot of horrible events (deaths in the family and associated things) befall me this past academic year(my Senior year) and it kind of pushed everything back so much so that I took a stacked fall and spring while part-timing MCAT studying and working. and through it all my total GPA should be around 3.79 but I got a C- in Physics 2, everything else on my application is alright, a publication (200 hours most overnight) A's in all my sciences (except phys 2). I'm still waiting on my MCAT score (which comes out May 14th let's say 510), letters of recommendation from the resident director at a local trauma center, and some profs ample clinical(800 hrs) and non clinical (500 hrs) exp. that both correlate to my overall story, said hours include volunteering, shadowing, and both clinical and nonclinical work. Originally I planned on applying June, but a C- in a prereq is an app killer so I signed up for a retake (both Phys's will appear on transcript phys 2 (in the spring term) as a C- and Phys 2 (summer) has nothing. SO should I even bother applying in June and hope they catch the retake in progress or am I cooked and send everything out in July? (transcript finally updates July 2nd)

I live in PA
July 2nd isn't too late (per the LizzyM standard, the primary becomes late after July 4). Will you have a grade on your transcript for the retake by then?

You may also want to wait until you actually have your MCAT score in hand to make a final decision.

You can take your prerequisite courses (or retake in your case for Physics) during your application year.
You just need to have them completed by Spring 2025 (before med school would start).
Do you feel really ready otherwise to start your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can take your prerequisite courses (or retake in your case for Physics) during your application year.
You just need to have them completed by Spring 2025 (before med school would start).
Do you feel really ready otherwise to start your application?
I do feel ready, I have a good reason why I want to be in medicine and most of my experience both clinical and non clinical matches up with my reason why, besides that my stats and LORs are are good enough

Reactions: 1 user
Then format

What's your purpose as a physician? School list? Sorry I can't just take you at your word.

Physics 2 summer starts before or after July 4? You can still list "in progress/planned" on AMCAS. If your MCAT score is strong, that's one argument that helps you.