Have you failed a step and matched?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

22nekorb22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to determine if persons have failed a USMLE Step and still matched to assess my chances of matching.

Please send me a private message by creating a conversation with me (I realize that most people may not want to post on the main thread).

Here are the stats I need:

USMLE Experience: Failures, which step, how many times, pass score
Residency Status: AG, IMG, FMG (what visa did you get for FMGs)
Specialty matched into:
Years from graduation at the time of matching:
What year did you match? eg 2010, 2014 etc
How many matches did you participate in?
Did you get the position in the main match or scramble/SOAP?
Did you have prior research
? Was it related to the field you applied to?
Did you have a LOR for that specific specialty?
Did you have an "inside contact" at the program you match at?
Feel free to send me any other info you think is necessary.

Thank you for your responses

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The fact that you failed step 1 twice is a pretty big red flag. Being an FMG in need of a visa is also going to complicate things. But then you already knew this from your two other posts on the same topic.

The fact that you failed step 1 twice is a pretty big red flag. Being an FMG in need of a visa is also going to complicate things. But then you already knew this from your two other posts on the same topic.

Thank you for posting

The purpose of this thread, unlike the other thread, was to get feedback on the stats from others who have failed a step and matched. I wasn't trying to solicit comments about my chances. My intention was to see what stats others had when they matched and I would make my personal assessment from what they provided. I am not sure if that was made clear in the original post.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Here's my experience:

USMLE Experience: Failed step 2 once (by 2 points!), passed with a 220
Residency Status: AG
Specialty matched into: Family med
Years from graduation at the time of matching: none
What year did you match? 2015 (this past week)
How many matches did you participate in? one
Did you get the position in the main match or scramble/SOAP? SOAP
Did you have prior research? no
Did you have a LOR for that specific specialty? had one from a FM doc I worked with during 3rd and 4th year, but letter wasn't specific to FM (I was trying to match into psych originally)
Did you have an "inside contact" at the program you match at? The program is affiliated with my school, and a friend a year above me is an intern there so he was able to put in a good word

Edit: sorry didn't see the PM part, I'll be happy to talk if you'd like to via PM

Hi!

It's fine that you posted in the main thread. Glad you posted!

Last edited: