have you guys ever successfully prevented someone from going to pharmacy school?

Started by axelz165
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

axelz165

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So recently a few friends have been asking me how pharmacy school is going and that they were interested in attending. I was able to successfully disuade them from the proffession. Anyone else been able to save someone's life by swaying them away from the pharmacy trap?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've tried to tell multiple pre-pharm students, but they are dead set and won't listen. They already have "pharmacy or nothing" frameset of mind it seems, and no alternative plan... so they just continue down the path of pharmacy.
 
I give people the pluses and minuses as I see them, it's up to people to make their own decision. I wouldn't try to dissuade anyone from any college major they desired....I would however try to dissuade them from taking on anything but a small - moderate amount of debt for such major.
 
I give people the pluses and minuses as I see them, it's up to people to make their own decision. I wouldn't try to dissuade anyone from any college major they desired....I would however try to dissuade them from taking on anything but a small - moderate amount of debt for such major.


I agree, I let them know that some people enjoy their jobs and pharmacy can be a rewarding career. I also say that I can't recommend anyone pursue pharmacy in good conscious at this point if you are going to have >100k in debt. I honestly don't see how anyone has a true passion for pharmacy and no other legitimate passion. With the current likelihood of increasingly poor job market, unless candidate is going to graduate with <50k of debt or has an independent or government hook-up its a hard do not recommend.
 
NP is always the last resort...

Really? Ironically, here in the southeast, there is a somewhat prevailing sentiment that if you don't want to go to medical school, NP school is the way to go. There is even a moderately anti-PA sentiment here as a result of a entrenched, long-standing nursing political lobby.
 
Really? Ironically, here in the southeast, there is a somewhat prevailing sentiment that if you don't want to go to medical school, NP school is the way to go. There is even a moderately anti-PA sentiment here as a result of a entrenched, long-standing nursing political lobby.
I was talking about the 'easiness' to get a NP degree as opposed to PharmD... As far as getting a job after graduation, NP might be the way to go.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Had at least one person tell me not to become a pharmacist way back when in 2007.

Guess I didn't listen either.


Same here although I didn't start really hearing it until 2009 after I started pharmacy school. Felt it was kinda late to pursue something else after almost a year done. I realized year 3 I wish I did something else.

Will say it has worked out for me so far
 
I've prevented more than 1,500 people from attending pharmacy school.

You're welcome.

YOUR pharmacy school, anyway! 😎

When I transferred in 1990 to the school where I got my degree, I got a job at a restaurant and one of the other servers, who had just graduated with a liberal arts degree, started off in pharmacy and bailed after failing a P1 class. :dead: She told me, "Get out now while you still have brain cells left." I don't even remember her name, but if our paths ever cross again and we remember each other, I will tell her that I did graduate and got out when the profession became unrecognizable.
 
So recently a few friends have been asking me how pharmacy school is going and that they were interested in attending. I was able to successfully disuade them from the proffession. Anyone else been able to save someone's life by swaying them away from the pharmacy trap?

Yes, my younger brother....he graduates Med school in May and just matched into an orthopedic Surgery residency.
 
I tell them to do whatever they want but I pull up my myfedloan.org account, show them I had a zero balance prior to Pharmacy school, borrowed $1k/month and watch their eyes widen.