Have you tried psych meds????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anuwolf

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you guys ever try out the medication that you guys give to your patients? if so how'd it made you feel?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I thought crack/herion/meth is the panacea/cure-all for every person. Who needs docs when people have access to street corners? Heck, I even think Bush has a proposal out in the Senate for health-care reform... don't treat 'em, just street 'em -

Members don't see this ad :)
psisci said:
Only the good stuff!! :)

Um.... and what good stuffs is that may I ask?

That may be consider advice giving, so no can do....... I guess I feel that if you don't know already you don't need to know...not just you personally but anyone reading this forum.

psisci said:
That may be consider advice giving, so no can do....... I guess I feel that if you don't know already you don't need to know...not just you personally but anyone reading this forum.

Nah I didnt wanted the advice.. I was being sarcastic (on my sec post) as well :) I was actually being serious on my first post... I feel that it's easier for a psych to treat their patients if they knew what the drug does and feels on people, if they try it out on themselves.

When I was in the outpatient center... The psych therapists expected people to be fully awake during therapy group time.. (This started at 8AM until 2PM EST)

It's extremely hard to do therapy to a bunch of people whos side effects are drowsy and sleepiness.

Something for the OP to consider: The effects of these psychopharmaceuticals will be different on different people. Futhermore, they will be very different for those who are suffering from a disorder versus those who are not.

Anuwolf - no, I have not tried these medications, however, I do appreciate your comments.

The early side effect of many of these medications can be drowsiness or fatigue & the therapists or the pts feel the pt should be "interactive" in the individual or group therapy during hospitalization or subsequent outpatient therapy. This can be a misperception on the part of the patient or the therapist.

When I've done medication teaching rounds with individual patients or in groups, these patients indicate the feeling they are not considered serious in pursing their therapy due to their fatigue & inability to concentrate, which can be drug attributable side effects, but not always.

I reassure them the side effects diminish as the therapeutic effect becomes predominant, but it can take up to 2-3 weeks. However, the patients do indicate to me they feel they are not "doing what it takes to work with the therapist". I reassure them the therapist does indeed know what to expect when a patient is put on a medication, which they do for the most part, so they & you do the best you can during the time you have together intensively & during the initial phase of medication management.

Reassurance & being able to speak openly & frankly with your physician & therapist is a good way to evaluate if the medications are beiing positive in your clinical condition or a hindrance. Remember, as the patient, it is difficult to objectively evaluate how medications work - that is why few physicians ever treat themselves or families.