Having a hard time adjusting at my new job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StrictlyEquine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got hired at a small animal vet clinic. This is my first job in the field and I was so excited to get out of the restaurant industry and get my foot in the door as a pre-vet student. I’m starting off as a receptionist until a vet tech position opens in a few months at my all-female clinic. It really wasn’t at all what I was expecting but I really want to give it a chance and gain some experience working here. I’ve found this particular clinic to be stressful and it seems the staff is way too focused on drama and gossiping about each other. I noticed on my first day a couple weeks ago that almost everyone just seems so unhappy to be at work and they act like it’s such a hassle to be nice to the clients. I’ve mentioned this to my classmates who work at other clinics and they said their clinic is not at all like that and everyone at their job is so friendly. Aside from that, I’m terrified of making any mistakes. I made a couple mistakes in scheduling last week and my supervisor made me feel belittled and useless. I feel as though the doctors think I’m an idiot as well (just by the way they treat me) which makes things worse. It almost feels like I’m in high school all over again where I just don’t fit in. I see it everyday—the second a co-worker leaves the room, everyone starts talking about them behind their back and it really disappoints me. I thought it’d be more professional than the restaurant industry but it’s almost worse! Has anyone else worked at a clinic like this? How did you cope for the time being?

Members don't see this ad.

Situations like that rarely improve. Personally, I would give it a few weeks and then start looking for a different job in a different clinic.

The clinic I worked at briefly was like that. There was a lot of **** talking about the boss and the clients. The boss was belittling and made everyone hate being there. The turnover in the staff was really high (and still is). That is not the type of environment that is conducive to learning or proper training.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I have pretty much an identical experience at my clinic, and although I'm not a huge fan of some of my coworkers, gritting my teeth and pushing through it and sticking around when the turnover rate was so high seemed to catch the notice of the owner and one of the best techs there, who took me under her wing. I'm not about to say that the gossip stopped, or certain people are any nicer... but the situation is a little bit better for me now that I've gained respect of a FEW people, at least.

That being said, I don't really have anywhere else to go because I didn't get any other offers of a paid position anywhere else. If you can get a job somewhere else, then by all means, do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've worked at 5-6 clinics as a tech over the years (moving with spouse often), and have found that these clinics do not get better, rather, there are just other clinics that will feel like home. If you can, I would look for another job. If you can't, stay out of the drama, pretend that everything is rosey, and try to let things roll off your back. It's not easy, but staying out of the fray long enough does sometimes help to make them not gossip in front of you, which honestly makes it nice. Good luck and keep smiling.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using SDN mobile

How long have these unpleasant people been working at this clinic? When I first started working at my current clinic a year ago, everyone was lovely & happy & friendly, and it slowly devolved into chaos with a whole lot of backstabbing. However, the main miserable members of staff quit or transferred this past spring, and things got to be better with bringing on a brand new doctor and practice manager. We're sadly moving back into that direction again - with the drama and the cattiness and other stupid stuff - but three other techs and myself have made it our mission to keep everything happy and positive whenever we are there to help rein in the silly, and it's starting to work. If these folks are new, or if they've only been there a short time (less than 3 years), the culture may change as they move on, or maybe some more new staff will perk the place up a bit. It's up to you on whether you feel comfortable waiting it out, but if you aren't being trained properly or being given the ability to make mistakes, I would consider looking for something new. I hate to say it, but receptionists are not treated well overall at vet hospitals. It's a sad truth, but if you can, try to find an assistant or tech-in-training position somewhere if you can. Many corporate vets are more willing to hire folks with less experience for technical positions, you just need to find the right situation.

Good luck, and whatever you do, keep your eye on the prize!

I definitely agree with StayingPositive. I've been a technician for almost 10 years now and have worked in multiple practices, some of which were (and still are) simply awful places to work. If you really want to go to vet school, one of your top priorities is definitely accumulating hours of veterinary experience, so it's good that you currently have a place to do so. That being said, I would attempt to find a better practice. It might take a long, long time to find one, bet they are definitely out there.

I almost left the profession because I started to think that a toxic work environment was the norm in veterinary medicine, but man was I wrong. I have been employed for five years at my current practice and I have never been happier in my life. I truly adore my team and could not imagine my life without them. Furthermore, they have inspired me to pursue veterinary school harder than ever.

Reactions: 1 users
Typically clinics like that get lots of turnover, and if it is many people driving the drama or long term staff, I suspect it will not get much better. How long have you been there? If people are being nasty in front of you and it has only been a week or two, that is a major red flag since they are not even trying to behave in front of the new eyes.

Definitely do not get involved in any gossip, and if you ever come into contact with trashing/etc in writing (via texts, chats, etc) promptly forward them along to management.

Is it overall toxic, or are a few individuals driving the drama and involving the rest of staff? If it is just one or two individuals, you could try to tough it out and hope they move on. My clinic was horrible to the point where I came just a hair away from quitting (and also came onto SDN in tears from the work computer to rant about it). Since then a few select individuals have quit/been fired and the improvement in overall attitude is leaps and bounds better. That being said, I would look at what other clinics in your area are hiring because that is a much safer bet.

If you have any prevet/vet industry friends, try to see what they know or have heard about other clinics in your region. The bad clinics do get a reputation that gets passed around, so you can avoid leaving this place to end up somewhere exactly the same. You could also hear of any clinics that have a very positive reputation and try to apply there first.

Typically clinics like that get lots of turnover, and if it is many people driving the drama or long term staff, I suspect it will not get much better. How long have you been there? If people are being nasty in front of you and it has only been a week or two, that is a major red flag since they are not even trying to behave in front of the new eyes.

Definitely do not get involved in any gossip, and if you ever come into contact with trashing/etc in writing (via texts, chats, etc) promptly forward them along to management.

Is it overall toxic, or are a few individuals driving the drama and involving the rest of staff? If it is just one or two individuals, you could try to tough it out and hope they move on. My clinic was horrible to the point where I came just a hair away from quitting (and also came onto SDN in tears from the work computer to rant about it). Since then a few select individuals have quit/been fired and the improvement in overall attitude is leaps and bounds better. That being said, I would look at what other clinics in your area are hiring because that is a much safer bet.

If you have any prevet/vet industry friends, try to see what they know or have heard about other clinics in your region. The bad clinics do get a reputation that gets passed around, so you can avoid leaving this place to end up somewhere exactly the same. You could also hear of any clinics that have a very positive reputation and try to apply there first.
How long have these unpleasant people been working at this clinic? When I first started working at my current clinic a year ago, everyone was lovely & happy & friendly, and it slowly devolved into chaos with a whole lot of backstabbing. However, the main miserable members of staff quit or transferred this past spring, and things got to be better with bringing on a brand new doctor and practice manager. We're sadly moving back into that direction again - with the drama and the cattiness and other stupid stuff - but three other techs and myself have made it our mission to keep everything happy and positive whenever we are there to help rein in the silly, and it's starting to work. If these folks are new, or if they've only been there a short time (less than 3 years), the culture may change as they move on, or maybe some more new staff will perk the place up a bit. It's up to you on whether you feel comfortable waiting it out, but if you aren't being trained properly or being given the ability to make mistakes, I would consider looking for something new. I hate to say it, but receptionists are not treated well overall at vet hospitals. It's a sad truth, but if you can, try to find an assistant or tech-in-training position somewhere if you can. Many corporate vets are more willing to hire folks with less experience for technical positions, you just need to find the right situation.

Good luck, and whatever you do, keep your eye on the prize!
i have only been here for 2 weeks. I actually feel like the receptionists are the worst at my clinic about starting drama and bullying certain vet techs. One vet tech actually does her job and shows compassion. The receptionists complained about her to the practice manager because they said she goes out of her way to socialize with clients in the lobby too much. The way I see it, she’s just doing her job and showing empathy unlike everyone else. It just seems like the employees here are all burned out and hate their job. They hide it well from the clients though.

Everyone has been here for over a few years. When I came in for my interview, I was immediately hired. 2 of the receptionists have left (one is on maternity leave and the other went back to her old job). So now it’s just me and the receptionist supervisor working together. I am the youngest one here, being in my mid-twenties while everyone else is in their thirties and older. They talk to me like I’m just a dumb kid who doesn’t understand anything. I had 5 training shifts but since we are now short staffed, I’m being thrown out there to figure it out. I feel like I’m the laughing stock of the entire place right now and I’m really trying my best to do my job correctly.

i have only been here for 2 weeks. I actually feel like the receptionists are the worst at my clinic about starting drama and bullying certain vet techs. One vet tech actually does her job and shows compassion. The receptionists complained about her to the practice manager because they said she goes out of her way to socialize with clients in the lobby too much. The way I see it, she’s just doing her job and showing empathy unlike everyone else. It just seems like the employees here are all burned out and hate their job. They hide it well from the clients though.

Everyone has been here for over a few years. When I came in for my interview, I was immediately hired. 2 of the receptionists have left (one is on maternity leave and the other went back to her old job). So now it’s just me and the receptionist supervisor working together. I am the youngest one here, being in my mid-twenties while everyone else is in their thirties and older. They talk to me like I’m just a dumb kid who doesn’t understand anything. I had 5 training shifts but since we are now short staffed, I’m being thrown out there to figure it out. I feel like I’m the laughing stock of the entire place right now and I’m really trying my best to do my job correctly.
It's really hard when you don't get adequate training, I sympathize there. The fact that you were hired on the spot is a big red flag to me, typically clinics have stacks of eager pre-vet applicants to sift through and multiple candidates interviewed for any open positions. If they're not receptive to working with younger people trying to break into the field, it sounds like that's a large part of the issue. I echo the recommendations to start looking for a job elsewhere, this place sounds seriously toxic and you shouldn't have to put up with that.

Work gossip happens in all careers, not just veterinary medicine. Gossiping about each other as employees is really hard to deal with. Do your best to ignore or just not be involved with it. And if it is too much for you, then seek out another clinic to work at. No point in being unhappy.

However, a caution about people discussing clients/venting about clients. After you have been in this field for 3+ years, 5+ years or 10+ years, it starts to get really grating dealing with people at times. Sometimes, venting about clients to co-workers is the best way to let off steam. Clients can and have driven veterinary professionals to commit suicide. So a little vent/laugh about the ridiculousness that some clients expect/want is much better than expecting your co-workers to hold all that in. A lot of people in this field develop a bit of a dark sense of humor because it really does help you to cope with the **** that this field can fling at you.

It's really hard when you don't get adequate training, I sympathize there. The fact that you were hired on the spot is a big red flag to me, typically clinics have stacks of eager pre-vet applicants to sift through and multiple candidates interviewed for any open positions. If they're not receptive to working with younger people trying to break into the field, it sounds like that's a large part of the issue. I echo the recommendations to start looking for a job elsewhere, this place sounds seriously toxic and you shouldn't have to put up with that.
I was a little surprised as well that I was hired on the spot but at the same time, it is located in a small town on the outskirts of the city. I had applied at a few other clinics closer to the city but they were looking for someone with experience already. I might just stick it out for a year to gain the experience I need, unless I get a better offer.

I don’t know how many days of training most clinics offer for new employees; or if they test them after training to ensure the new employee is ready to work on their own. After a few days, I was scheduled with another lady who had only been there for a couple months since we were short staffed. Neither one of us were confident being on our own together and it was a mess. I feel like a job like this would require at least a full week of training and maybe even a written test over protocols and procedures before throwing someone out there to figure it out. Maybe I’m wrong. It’s just frustrating knowing I am capable of doing this job well with proper training but I’m not able to really prove myself if I’m learning only by trial and a lot of error. In that case, it just makes me look bad.

I'll reply more in depth later, but don't feel bad about messing up. You're new, it's expected. Give it some time and you will see yourself improve, and your coworkers will see the improvement. Try not to let lack of confidence get the better of you, and forgive yourself for any mistakes. When you get comfortable with your job, you will get better at it, and that is what they will be thinking about when you ask for letters of recc.

I was absolutely horrible at being a receptionist for a very long time. As in, over 6 months maybe even approaching a year. The first time I got stuck as head receptionist at our second clinic I ended up in hysterical tears because I was overwhelmed all the things happening at once. Now that I have been there almost 2 years, I have learned and gotten comfortable with the job, and thus am now a (in my opinion anyway lol) good receptionist. The staff members I work with each week think so as well, and I have gotten strongly positive letters of recommendation from them. This is despite 6months-1year where I most certainly lost clients and money by various screw ups. It's all a learning curve, especially if you have no prior experience in the industry.

PS if you never enjoy reception that's fine, I don't ever intend to do another reception shift once I leave this position. ;)

I agree with @TheGirlWithTheFernTattoo, it took me quite a while to get comfortable at my job as well, but by the time I left after 2+ years I felt pretty confident and had gained the respect of most of my co-workers. My clinic didn't have a formal training program either, so the first 6 months or so were rough. Focus on learning from your mistakes, try not to take criticism too personally, and don't make the same mistake twice if you can help it. The most frustrating thing is when you mention a mistake or problem to a coworker and they just say "oh, sorry" and keep on making the same mistakes. You might bring a small notebook to write things down as they come up, each clinic and doctor has their own preferences and it takes time to adjust to all that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with @TheGirlWithTheFernTattoo, it took me quite a while to get comfortable at my job as well, but by the time I left after 2+ years I felt pretty confident and had gained the respect of most of my co-workers. My clinic didn't have a formal training program either, so the first 6 months or so were rough. Focus on learning from your mistakes, try not to take criticism too personally, and don't make the same mistake twice if you can help it. The most frustrating thing is when you mention a mistake or problem to a coworker and they just say "oh, sorry" and keep on making the same mistakes. You might bring a small notebook to write things down as they come up, each clinic and doctor has their own preferences and it takes time to adjust to all that.
I’ve never done a reception or office job before. I am really good with hands on work and while I completely understand it’s important to learn every aspect of working in a vet clinic, it’s hard for me to sit behind a desk all day. I keep a notebook with me at all times and take notes but when it’s busy, it’s hard to take time to refer back to my notes. I have never had such a hard time learning something new right away and it’s obvious my boss is frustrated that I still have so many questions. Since there’s only myself and one other receptionist, it’s been difficult for them to train me when it’s constantly busy. Aside from that, one of their clients told me today that he’s been a client for 15 years and the turn over rate is very high here and receptionists are constantly leaving. I hate making a mistake more than once and I feel so guilty but at the same time, it’s overwhelming and hard for me to think clearly with little training.

I have never had such a hard time learning something new right away and it’s obvious my boss is frustrated that I still have so many questions.

Yeah, no.

You should really just leave. Reasonable workplaces don’t discourage new hires from asking questions. That’s stupid and dangerous especially if they aren’t adequately training you. You’re being set up to fail.

I was in a similar situation in my first clinic. I had applied to a few but only heard back from the one, so I did the working interview and it seemed okay. And everyone seemed happy enough. It wasn't until I started working that I realized the married couple that owned it were driving the few other techs crazy. The doctor/owner clearly hated his job and all the techs so it was terrible.

I thought that because it was I didn't have much experience my only choice was to stay. When I was 2 weeks in with very little training, like your situation, I went looking for another place and found one that was perfect. They have become my second family even though I'm in vet school now. They were looking for someone more experienced in the ad but I applied anyway and it worked out!

My advice would be put your feelers out. If you have any vet contacts or friends who know of any openings take advantage of them. You don't need to tell the clinic you're looking (usually it's polite but it doesn't seem like that would go over well for your situation). Once you find something then you can give your two weeks and be done. It may even be that they don't want you to stay the two weeks. When I told my clinic owner that I was putting in my two weeks after only being there 3wks 2 days, she was so unprofessional. I didn't tell her I had another job lined up (which I still think would have made things way worse) and she still yelled at me. But it was so worth it to get out of there. After I gave my notice she told me not to come back tomorrow! If you can stick it out while looking for something else it will pay off!

I was in a similar situation in my first clinic. I had applied to a few but only heard back from the one, so I did the working interview and it seemed okay. And everyone seemed happy enough. It wasn't until I started working that I realized the married couple that owned it were driving the few other techs crazy. The doctor/owner clearly hated his job and all the techs so it was terrible.

I thought that because it was I didn't have much experience my only choice was to stay. When I was 2 weeks in with very little training, like your situation, I went looking for another place and found one that was perfect. They have become my second family even though I'm in vet school now. They were looking for someone more experienced in the ad but I applied anyway and it worked out!

My advice would be put your feelers out. If you have any vet contacts or friends who know of any openings take advantage of them. You don't need to tell the clinic you're looking (usually it's polite but it doesn't seem like that would go over well for your situation). Once you find something then you can give your two weeks and be done. It may even be that they don't want you to stay the two weeks. When I told my clinic owner that I was putting in my two weeks after only being there 3wks 2 days, she was so unprofessional. I didn't tell her I had another job lined up (which I still think would have made things way worse) and she still yelled at me. But it was so worth it to get out of there. After I gave my notice she told me not to come back tomorrow! If you can stick it out while looking for something else it will pay off!
So, I finally asked some of my co-workers here how they like it, how long have they been here, etc. I thought maybe I was the only one overreacting and hating this job. The kennel techs told me they have been there for awhile and have asked for a raise but got denied. They said nobody here has ever gotten a raise, no matter how many years you’ve been with the clinic. They also said they feel unappreciated and burned out working more hours than they asked for.

My practice manager pulled me into her office today and started nit picking me for every little thing and eventually concluded “I just wasn’t getting it or learning fast enough.” I understand the difference between constructive criticism and picking someone apart. She was listing everything I do wrong instead of saying,”Hey, let me help you learn this faster with some useful tips!” I was pretty upfront and I told her,”Look, I’ve never done this job before and it’s difficult to learn when we are short staffed and it’s really busy. I’ve made mistakes, I don’t expect myself to be perfect right off the bat, but I always take notes so I don’t make the same mistakes again. I understand what I’m doing wrong, but I’d like more input on how to correct it.” She seemed shocked that I was asking her for more training, almost as if she expected me to know everything by now (it’s only been a few weeks!). I don’t think she expected me to stand up for myself (and I don’t mean that condescendingly), I just wanted her to be aware that I was trying to keep us both on the same page so I can continue to grow within in my position.

Regardless, it’s good to know that not EVERY clinic is like this. I’ll definitely keep my options open because I don’t feel like anything is going to change for me.

I recently got hired on the spot a few weeks ago at an all-female small animal vet clinic as a receptionist. It’s my first job in the field while I’m studying Equine veterinary medicine.

So far, I’ve learned the turn over rate is extremely high. I’m keeping my options open but nobody was hiring without any experience.

My practice manager is a huge bully. I literally can’t do anything without her following me around and repeatedly asking,”What are you doing? What are you doing? What are you doing?” And I mean she will ask me that same question 5 times in a row in a mocking tone and won’t even let me answer or speak. She smirks the whole time like she thinks it’s funny to belittle me and won’t even let me explain anything without talking over me and asking me 100 questions which would’ve been answered if she’d just let me finish a sentence. She makes me feel like an idiot. I dread having to be around her because she turns everything into an issue and borderline harasses me just so she can laugh about it to herself. I think she does it because she wants to make herself look better and prove her authority when the doctors are around. She’s been there for over 15 years with the other 2 doctors since the clinic opened.

I’ve heard this is how new people tend to get treated in the field. I feel like I’m not allowed to stick up for myself since I’m new and still in the “trial and error phase”. Is this type of behavior common at every clinic? How do I handle her behavior for the time being while I’m here?

I don't think it happens at every clinic. Most at my clinic were very welcoming when I started working there. Minus the one chick that bullied me and flat out tried to sabatoge my work.

You have to decide to either ditch because you don't have time for their little games. Because you can work anywhere else and probably have a better work environment.
Or stick it out there and kill that chick with kindness. Don't let her effect you and do your job the best way you can. This probably isn't the first time this employee has pulled something like that and clearly the owners tolerate it.

I really hope whatever you decide that it works out! Don't let it get you down specially before the holidays!

Wait, didn't you just post a thread about having a difficult time at your new job? Probably should just keep this with that.

I don't think it happens at every clinic. Most at my clinic were very welcoming when I started working there. Minus the one chick that bullied me and flat out tried to sabatoge my work.

You have to decide to either ditch because you don't have time for their little games. Because you can work anywhere else and probably have a better work environment.
Or stick it out there and kill that chick with kindness. Don't let her effect you and do your job the best way you can. This probably isn't the first time this employee has pulled something like that and clearly the owners tolerate it.

I really hope whatever you decide that it works out! Don't let it get you down specially before the holidays!
It’s an odd situation. It’s a small town clinic family owned. The doctors are even a little catty (except for one out of the three doctors). They and the practice manager have known each other for years and it seems like this is just the way they treat certain employees. Maybe because I’m too nice and they think they can walk all over me for the laughs. I don’t know. I came here excited to learn but now I’m just terrified of making mistakes. I’ve heard from clients the turn over rate is insane here. Each day, I find it more believable that it’s because of the way the practice manager and the 2 doctors treat their staff and lack appreciation for hard work.

Wait, didn't you just post a thread about having a difficult time at your new job? Probably should just keep this with that.
I did but every time I try to re-open that thread, it won’t load and I all I get is an “error” message (I have no idea if it’s because I’m using my phone or what the deal is).

It’s an odd situation. It’s a small town clinic family owned. The doctors are even a little catty (except for one out of the three doctors). They and the practice manager have known each other for years and it seems like this is just the way they treat certain employees. Maybe because I’m too nice and they think they can walk all over me for the laughs. I don’t know. I came here excited to learn but now I’m just terrified of making mistakes. I’ve heard from clients the turn over rate is insane here. Each day, I find it more believable that it’s because of the way the practice manager and the 2 doctors treat their staff and lack appreciation for hard work.
Not. Worth. It.

I learned after working at my first clinic that when you interview you should ask the other employees how long they have worked there because turnover is a good indicator of how happy you are likely to be at that workplace. My first clinic was rough, it was a low-cost veterinary clinic and the doctor had lost his passion for the work. The turnover rate (as I soon figured out) was almost a clean sweep every 3-4 months. I left there after 3 months and found a wonderful clinic where I worked as a kennel technician for 2 years with no issues. I left that clinic during my last semester of undergrad and now I am working as a vet tech at another great clinic. If you have other options and you're unhappy at that clinic I would suggest pursuing those options. If that is the only option you have to figure out if the experience is worth it for you.

I learned after working at my first clinic that when you interview you should ask the other employees how long they have worked there because turnover is a good indicator of how happy you are likely to be at that workplace. My first clinic was rough, it was a low-cost veterinary clinic and the doctor had lost his passion for the work. The turnover rate (as I soon figured out) was almost a clean sweep every 3-4 months. I left there after 3 months and found a wonderful clinic where I worked as a kennel technician for 2 years with no issues. I left that clinic during my last semester of undergrad and now I am working as a vet tech at another great clinic. If you have other options and you're unhappy at that clinic I would suggest pursuing those options. If that is the only option you have to figure out if the experience is worth it for you.
I made the unfortante mistake of asking employees how they liked it here 2 weeks into this job. Kennel techs told me they’ve never been given a raise (most of the staff has never gotten a raise actually), and they are overworked and not appreciated.

The head receptionist (there’s only 2 of us) seems so burned out and done. I get the sense she feels stuck here and is dealing with it.

I just wasn’t sure if all places were going to be like this no matter where I looked. My practice manager makes it seem like I’m not allowed to talk to the doctors because she fears I’m just going to bother them or make a mistake and piss them off and make her look bad. I feel like less of a human being because of that. It’s great to hear people’s good experiences at their current clinics. It just sucks walking into a place blindly and hoping it’ll be good for you but not knowing much about it.

Again, I second the suggestions to start looking elsewhere, you shouldn't have to put up with being bullied. If possible try asking your coworkers if they know of any good clinics in the area (maybe other people who are leaving have mentioned where they got a job and that it's much nicer), or if you know any other pre-vets from school or elsewhere ask where they've worked or shadowed, or if they know of good places. Maybe check clinic reviews on Google, you can't trust all reviews of course, but chances are a clinic that has tons of bad reviews probably isn't a great place to work either. When you go for interviews, try to get a feel for the atmosphere of the clinic as much as possible. If they do working interviews that would be really helpful, but unfortunately not all clinics do.