Having a minor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tiff-of-knee

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys I'm just finishing my freshman year and I'm wondering about adding a minor.
By the time I graduate, I'll have a BS in Biochem. I can keep up a decent gpa (mostly A's, but some B's), that gpa thing is the reason i'm hesitant to take a minor.
@Pre-od students: can you come up with any ways that minors helped/hurt you? did you get asked abt your minors in interviews?
@current-od students: how many of the students around you graduated w minors? do you think it'll make me a more competitive applicant?
 
My minor was only to raise my overall GPA. It was irrelevant to the optometry field. No one asked about it during my interviews, or application. Do a minor is something that interests you but would also help either maintain or raise your GPA.
 
Only do a minor if it’s something you’ll enjoy, will not prevent you from graduating on time, and will raise your gpa or keep it where it’s at. Minors are exactly that, minor.