having credits removed from transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmgrl5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's different at every school but I am wondering if there is ever a case when a school will allow actual total removal of a semester or year of grades? I don't mean retaking and averaging them. I mean total and absolute removal. Reason I'm asking is because my first semester I failed all my classes, not due to ability but due to personal health issues. Thinking back I should have taken a medical leave of absence but my head wasn't totally straight at that time and I ended up having to take all F's instead. Now I'm really stressing over this because from what I've been able to see it'll take me around 120 credit hours of A's to take my GPA up even to a 3.2 or so. I can't find any info for my school and if they have any removal policies. Just wondering if anyone has ever had classes removed from their transcript?

Members don't see this ad.

What you're thinking about is a withdrawal. I think you either have to talk to your professors and the dean of your college or the counselors at the student health center. But you better have a very good reason to get your semester withdrawn. So think what your going to say thoroughly. Also if you have another semester like this, forget pharmacy :scared:

See if you can petition to have those classes withdrawn. You might have to have the professor and the dean sign it but, it's worth it. I actually was not aware of this myself. At my school our finals week ran from Wed to Wed. I had all my finals between Wed and Fri the first week and the next monday i had my last final. I had a family crisis the saturday before my last final and because my mind was elsewhere i didn't contact the prof. I ended up with an F. Since i didn't find out about this petition until a year after the incident i could no longer get it withdrawn.....:( Make sure you take care of it ASAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would a withdrawal mean that the courses showed as "W" on my transcript or would they be gone totally? I'm just ****ting myself over this and am stressing so hard about it. I wish I could go back and have taken the leave for the semester but dangit I can't change it now. I'm just not sure what direction to take other than what I'm already doing.

It would show up as a w. I don't think its possible to completely expunge one's record.

Would a withdrawal mean that the courses showed as "W" on my transcript or would they be gone totally? I'm just ****ting myself over this and am stressing so hard about it. I wish I could go back and have taken the leave for the semester but dangit I can't change it now. I'm just not sure what direction to take other than what I'm already doing.

If you can't change your transcript, just address it in your application, since it wasn't due to not being able to handle the work but for health reasons. As long as that didn't continue through your other grades, you should be fine.

Call your school's registrar and ask about their academic forgiveness policy. I know at least one community college that will remove a semester or more of bad grades after a certain amount of time has passed. There the grades are replaced with X's or something - not W's.

Total removal is very unlikely and boardline dishonest. Depending on the professors/school you maybe able to get them changed to W's. But really that should have been done right after, not years later. If your gpa will be 3.0+ even with the F's, don't worry too much. Obviously you have a great track record now, and are able to explain the one terrible semester.

i can't verify this but in my school, you can drop your current semester (by withdrawing from all your classes) and on your transcript, it will appear as if you didn't attempt the semester at all.