Having doubts about applying to pharmacy school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CMUchicka

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know people already made threads like this in past few years but i want to hear your views for recent situation. I have always heard that pharmacy profession is going down job market wise but i never put any serious thought into it until yet . Mainly because i had people in my family friends who recently graduated and were able to land jobs ASAP. Yes, they had little difficulty may be because they were picky about living in particular area. I am preparing to apply for upcoming cycle but i am having double thoughts. Thought i wont be able to leave this due to many reasons : family, time and money. but i still want to hear your views.

When i was in high school, i always wanted to be dentist. But as i started college i started to like pharmacy more. Not sure if i can fall in love with dentistry again. At one point i even wanted to change my major to computer science , wasn't great idea lol. So i am pretty much set on pharmacy. Med school, PA, NP are not for me. I am applying to couple states schools and few private schools but my goal is to get in state schools (hopefully).

I know not much has changed in job market wise but if any of pharmacist , pharmacy school students can give me little insight about recent situation , i would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're set on going into pharmacy, you're first going to want to get into as cheap of a school as possible and start to think about living an extremely frugal lifestyle for the next 5-10 years or so. Next you'll want to get a job as an intern for either a retail or hospital location ASAP and hold it down even during the school year. Also, minimize the amount of loans you take out and do not under any circumstance take loans out for anything other than tuition and rent/living expenses. Lastly, get used to the idea that you're going to have to make a lot of sacrifices now in order to make it easier for you financially in the future.

Thank you guys for insight!

I plan to stay in my state, so i can stay home. I am currently volunteering in hospital pharmacy, I want to get internship there. Yeah, i do want to get into state schools so its easier loan wise though i still have some loans from undergraduate too so i need to be super careful when spending. Something i am currently struggling with is to get pharmacy tech job. I have applied to multiple places , even called , visited in person but hardly getting any calls. I was told by pharmacy managers that business is slow right now. I was almost hired by CVS but then they told me they cant find my application so they can't hire me ( so weird). They said to apply again and they will hire me.

If you guys are already graduated or working as intern, whats pay is like? I have explored retail, independent and hospital pharmacy. I personally like hospital because how chill work environment is but retail pays much better. I hope i am not going to regret going into pharmacy..