Having faculty call your top choice program on your behalf?

Started by pazu
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pazu

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm wondering if this is common in neurology.

I was not planning on talking to my faculty/PD/chair about my ROL, because I think emailing the residents at various programs has been helpful enough. I was planning on sending an email to my top choice program early in February, and leave it at that.

However, there are a bunch of threads popping up in the ERAS forum about how applicants are getting their PDs to make phone calls on their behalf, etc. To be fair, a lot of these cases involve PDs who took the initiative and offered to make phone calls for their students. However, this is making me nervous and wondering if I should set up a bunch of appts at my own school and have them call my favorite programs. It's really not my style--i.e. I like to do a lot of things and make decisions by myself. But if this ends up hurting me and I don't match at my top choice, I know I will regret it.

If anyone who has gone through match before could share advice, that'd be great.
 
It certainly happens. A phone call from the department chair can help your chances, the degree to which depends on the stature of your chair and the level of the program. Personally, I would save this chip for the program you are most interested in. Having your PD call a bunch of schools and say you're smart and interested will carry less impact than your chair calling one school and saying you're a great applicant and very, very interested in their program.

Personally, I didn't do this. It did not hurt me.