Neurohospitalist fellowship call schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TNKay

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I know the general consensus of this group is that the neurohospitalist fellowships are not worth it but I am still curious to know about the call schedule of these fellowships. How many nights and weekends is one expected to do as a neurohospitalist fellow? (No fellowship page comments upon this)
Will really appreciate if someone who has done neurohosp fellowship or knows someone who did it can answer this question.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I heard some are week on week off and others are similar to a residency schedule. Residency is a neurohospitalist and stroke fellowship. Please do not get suckered into giving up a year of well deserved wages for this giant scam. To me it is insulting that this is even offered

Reactions: 6 users
Hello everyone! I know the general consensus of this group is that the neurohospitalist fellowships are not worth it but I am still curious to know about the call schedule of these fellowships. How many nights and weekends is one expected to do as a neurohospitalist fellow? (No fellowship page comments upon this)
Will really appreciate if someone who has done neurohosp fellowship or knows someone who did it can answer this question.

Thank you!
Or you could just sign for an actual neurohospitalist job and get paid what you are actually worth to do the same work. These fellowships are strongly not recommended. They wouldn't be worth it even if they only expected you to come in 6hrs a day with no weekends and no call, because there are locums gigs that are the same, that you will already be qualified for, and that you will get paid >4x the amount to do. Don't entertain these useless fellowships.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Met a PGY4 doing a neurohospitalist fellowship and asked why. S/he is doing it so that she can become a neurology director or create programs of some sort. Seems like a giant waste of time, but that was not something I'd thought off.

Reactions: 1 users
Let me tell you, my first six months of attendinghood as a neurohospitalist at a large stroke and trauma center is a better training than any NH fellowship. Plus it pays 5-6x as much :)

Reactions: 2 users
Met a PGY4 doing a neurohospitalist fellowship and asked why. S/he is doing it so that she can become a neurology director or create programs of some sort. Seems like a giant waste of time, but that was not something I'd thought off.
I asked one too, they said the neurohospitalist track (and that’s a 2 year fellowship to boot) would help them get an MPh (built into the track) and also help launch a global health neurology program. It’s not for learning/money/research/teaching, but there are certain niche uses I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for your reply! I appreciate every suggestion. For visa/immigration/personal reasons, I intend to extend one year of training in the US before I do my fellowship of choice in Canada and I couldn't choose a fellowship so I thought I might as well extend my residency and prepare for Canadian boards.
I cannot work for one year, my visa forces me to enter into a 3 year employment contract, which is not favorable for me.
Anyhow, I really appreciate the support of this group.

Thank you all for your reply! I appreciate every suggestion. For visa/immigration/personal reasons, I intend to extend one year of training in the US before I do my fellowship of choice in Canada and I couldn't choose a fellowship so I thought I might as well extend my residency and prepare for Canadian boards.
I cannot work for one year, my visa forces me to enter into a 3 year employment contract, which is not favorable for me.
Anyhow, I really appreciate the support of this group.
Why not do a fellowship that’s accredited in Canada as well? A stroke fellowship would add more options long term than a neurohospitalist one.

Echo above, you just need one more year of ACGME accredited fellowship to match 5-year training length for Canadian board certification. The only ACGME accredited neurology fellowships are vascular and clinical neurophysiology (also NIR but not really relevant if you just want training equivalency). I would favor the extra year in stroke or CNP.

Echo above, you just need one more year of ACGME accredited fellowship to match 5-year training length for Canadian board certification. The only ACGME accredited neurology fellowships are vascular and clinical neurophysiology (also NIR but not really relevant if you just want training equivalency). I would favor the extra year in stroke or CNP.
Thank you! I thought that one additional year of any fellowship would qualify, I wasn't aware that the fellowship needs to be ACGME accredited. Is that the case?

Right. Stroke has been on my mind but the only thing I am hesitant of is the tough call schedule in fellowship (given that I would need time to prep for Canadian boards as well in this additional year).

Thank you! I thought that one additional year of any fellowship would qualify, I wasn't aware that the fellowship needs to be ACGME accredited. Is that the case?
I'm not planning to go back now but the last time I checked, I believe ACGME-accreditation is required for the additional year of equivalency.

Right. Stroke has been on my mind but the only thing I am hesitant of is the tough call schedule in fellowship (given that I would need time to prep for Canadian boards as well in this additional year).
I feel clinical neurophysiology might be the best, especially as comfort with EEG/EMG adds a lot to your practice vs a stroke fellowship, and the schedule is better (program dependent as being on call for EEG can be annoying too).

I'm not planning to go back now but the last time I checked, I believe ACGME-accreditation is required for the additional year of equivalency.

I feel clinical neurophysiology might be the best, especially as comfort with EEG/EMG adds a lot to your practice vs a stroke fellowship, and the schedule is better (program dependent as being on call for EEG can be annoying too).
Thank you! Really appreciate your help!

Hey I just wanted to comment here since there may be some unintentional misinformation by the above posters. Although to practice in Canada for most specialties you do typically require an ACGME fellowship to match the 5 year training duration in Canada, the neurology competencies through the Royal College specifically state that if you are board certified in the US after completing a 4 year ACGME residency, you qualify for the exam with 1 one year of specialty experience. This means you actually do not actually require fellowship training - you just need to practice as a neurologist for one year. Fellowship also counts, and can be either ACGME or non-ACGME accredited. There also more ACGME accredited fellowships than just clinical neurophys and stroke - neuromuscular and epilepsy are a few that come to mind. Check out page 12 of the document below - there's no mention of an ACGME fellowship year. Also attaching a link for other ACGME-accrredited fellowships, but again, probably not relevant if the intention is to go back to Canada.

Above posters make good points. Visa may be an issue but if you are on a J1 for your training currently and are a Canadian citizen, there is a way to get on an H1b without having to do a J1 waiver. A neurohospitalist fellowship seems like a waste of time and money. I’m a Canadian citizen that’s trained in the US on a J1 and am RC certified in IM, feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions.

Hey I just wanted to comment here since there may be some unintentional misinformation by the above posters. Although to practice in Canada for most specialties you do typically require an ACGME fellowship to match the 5 year training duration in Canada, the neurology competencies through the Royal College specifically state that if you are board certified in the US after completing a 4 year ACGME residency, you qualify for the exam with 1 one year of specialty experience. This means you actually do not actually require fellowship training - you just need to practice as a neurologist for one year. Fellowship also counts, and can be either ACGME or non-ACGME accredited. There also more ACGME accredited fellowships than just clinical neurophys and stroke - neuromuscular and epilepsy are a few that come to mind. Check out page 12 of the document below - there's no mention of an ACGME fellowship year. Also attaching a link for other ACGME-accrredited fellowships, but again, probably not relevant if the intention is to go back to Canada.

Thanks a lot! This is very helpful! Appreciate it.

Thanks a lot! This is very helpful! Appreciate it
Above posters make good points. Visa may be an issue but if you are on a J1 for your training currently and are a Canadian citizen, there is a way to get on an H1b without having to do a J1 waiver. A neurohospitalist fellowship seems like a waste of time and money. I’m a Canadian citizen that’s trained in the US on a J1 and am RC certified in IM, feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions.
Thank you! I ll take a look into the waiver exception but I guess that exists only for Canadian citizens however I am an Indian citizen.

Total and utter waste of time. You can be a stroke center director/medical director at a lot of small to medium sized places with no fellowship training in anything especially with a year or two of actual attending neurohospitalist experience. These fellowships are just milking 'trainees' for free labor.

Total and utter waste of time. You can be a stroke center director/medical director at a lot of small to medium sized places with no fellowship training in anything especially with a year or two of actual attending neurohospitalist experience. These fellowships are just milking 'trainees' for free labor.
I wasn't going to burst her bubble. She had already accepted the offer.

How does jumping onto an H-1B visa work? I thought that was nearly impossible

How does jumping onto an H-1B visa work? I thought that was nearly impossible

There is a way to switch from J1 to H1b without getting a waiver of the home residency requirement, but it’s an option for Canadian citizens only. Look up “sleeping in Canada J1”. I personally know a few people that have done it. Talk to an attorney.