Having PCAT unscored for practice??

Started by pharmgrl5
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharmgrl5

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sorry if this has been asked a million and one times! I'm really curious to know about this because I wasn't aware that this could be done. Has anyone done the PCAT and had it unscored just so you could get a real feel for what the test is like? Is it worth it to do that? Also, is it better to have it unscored or scored? If it's just for "practice" I mean. I plan on taking the PCAT probably in August of 2009, I think... haven't really decided just yet. But I'm wondering if it would benefit me to take the test earlier so I can get a feel for what is really on it and what it's really like. Thanks for any info or advice! 😀
 
I'm sorry if this has been asked a million and one times! I'm really curious to know about this because I wasn't aware that this could be done. Has anyone done the PCAT and had it unscored just so you could get a real feel for what the test is like? Is it worth it to do that? Also, is it better to have it unscored or scored? If it's just for "practice" I mean. I plan on taking the PCAT probably in August of 2009, I think... haven't really decided just yet. But I'm wondering if it would benefit me to take the test earlier so I can get a feel for what is really on it and what it's really like. Thanks for any info or advice! 😀

yes it will benefit you to practice by taking an unscored test. You decide at the end of the test whether you want it scored- I wouldn't have it scored unless you are certain you did well. Taking the real PCAT unscored will help you guide you in studying, and you will know what to expect.
 
Many schools only look at the best score but not all do. However, many people do the no-score for safety reasons for those exceptions and to avoid any subconscious effect a bad score may have even if it technically isn't considered by the adcoms. Someone in that office sees that score and the response may vary.

The main disadvantage is that you never know how you did because the sheet is never scored. You just have to guess at how you did.
 
I wouldn't suggest it. When I took the exam the first time, I cried leaving the room because I thought I bombed it. It turned out that I actually did really well (just retook for one section I got a 69 on, everything else was 90+). Others might feel that they did well, but in reality they bombed. The point is that you won't really know how you do until you take a scored test.

You have lots of time to study. Take practice exams and TIME YOURSELF. My biggest shock on test day was how quickly the time went for the chem and math sections - having to blindly guess because you didn't have time to read can really lower your score. There will be an online test available before the actual exam - it costs something, but far less than $125, and you actually get feedback. I would only take the no-score option if I was a really horrible testtaker and really needed the practice, or if I got sick in the middle of the exam or something.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with AngelaCL. If you do the no-score option, you will waste a lot of money and several hours of your life to end up not even knowing how you did on the exam. If you come out feeling like you bombed it, it might unnecessarily freak you out about taking the test the next time for real. Also the specific items on the PCAT can change quite a bit from one testing time to the next. So you might be influenced by your practice PCAT to put in a lot of study time on a certain area of science of math and then find out it is not even on the next test.
If you want to do a practice test, I would recommend using the Harcourt practice tests. They are a lot cheaper (although shorter), and they will give you an estimated scoring range (albeit the range is quite wide). Good luck! :luck:
 
I think its a good idea to do that. B.c I was studying the Kaplant practice before I took the PCAT the first time, and after i was out of the test I realized that I should have been studying my bio and chem notes and school books instead.:idea: So i completely changed my studying methods, and i felt way better on the 2nd exam. Think about it.. Your spending all this time studying anyways, going to school to take the test is not that much time out of your study time. But at least when you get out you will know exactly what to focus on. The PCAT is very broad concepts, after my test i went straight to my Bio book and i found the answers to the questions I remembered, I mean some of the graphs were right out of the book.
 
if you are thinking to take pcat twice then why not study really hard during the summer and take it first time in june (even if u suck you still have august to take it again) everything will be fresh in your head and you can work on the weak areas and improve your score the second time.
 
If you want 'practice' there are tons of full length practice exams available for a whole lot cheaper than taking the real thing. Sit yourself down in a quiet room with half a day to yourself and go for it.

The only way I would consider the no-score option is if I failed to answer or had to guess on a significant portion of the test.


The point is that you won't really know how you do until you take a scored test.

++