Having Trouble Studying...thoughts/advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRock310

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so...just like the title, for the first time ever, i just feel like i have NO idea how to study for this thing in certain areas.

i have

-Destroyer
-Newest Kap book
-AP Bio
-Crack DAT PAT

i feel like the math will be ok if i go over the Kap then do the Destroyer problems.

PAT will be ok if i just keep practicing on Crack Dat.

RC will be ok if i go through the Kap practice probs.

Bio= go through AP and do Destroyer problems.

So my two biggest concerns are the Organic Chem and the Gen Chem. With Organic Chem, I did well in it both semesters and actually took it this year so it feels pretty fresh in my mind, just would like a review. I have "Organic Chemistry As A Second Language" from both semesters but i do NOT want to waste any time, and i feel like going through them will be a waste of time? i thought of just doing the Destroyer probs but i feel like that'd be pretty disorganized/all over the place in terms of reviewing, which i really need to do.

Gen Chem= HUUUUGE problem for me. First of all, i sucked at it when i took it, which was like 2 years ago, literally. So how would i even study for it? go through kap then do the Destroyer probs? but wont that waste SO much time? and since there are only a certain # of chem questions on the DAT anyway, wouldnt that just make me relearn a bunch of unnecessary stuff?

i just need to do this as efficiently as possible.

ugh. i am so stressed and need some help/guidance before i freak out.

Members don't see this ad.

First thing you need to do for Gen Chem is watch Chad's videos. They are an amazing review! I went from being horrible in Gen Chem to it actually being my strongest subject (judging from practice tests I've taken). Seriously, invest the time in those videos.

agreed, Chad's video's are absolutely amazing. They aren't boring either, I actually ENJOY studying genchem, its what i look forward too LOL!

All cause of Chad, such an amazing prof.

First thing you need to do for Gen Chem is watch Chad's videos. They are an amazing review! I went from being horrible in Gen Chem to it actually being my strongest subject (judging from practice tests I've taken). Seriously, invest the time in those videos.

I am watching them now (after reading kaplan bb)...They are extremely helpful :D in clearing up any confussions from the text.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree!!! I watch a video or two a night before I sleep instead of watching tv or doing stuff like that. It has helped tramendously. I too am in similar situation. I am not sure I learned anything in my Gen chem classes because I dont remember one thing the teacher said. That might be due to the fact I took them 4-5 years ago! But I am getting the hang of it now.

About 12.5 hours for all of them which is not much when you consider all of it is clearly given to you. If you get stuck in a text book you could be spending 1-2 hours just trying to figure out what a formula means.

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone could give me some information on the Chad videos. Where can I find them? Thanks!

The quickest way is to just do the destroyer problems and kaplan gchem subject tests over and over AND fill in the gaps as you go along by using your textbook.

Anything you don't know, just write it on notecards.

If time is against you that is the best way.

That alone should easily get you at least a 19 on the low side, and probably a 20 on an average day...

22+ for gchem is more painstaking and you'll have to cover more ground.

i attempted to just do the destroyer probs today in gen chem. not so great of an idea. i really need more of a review because it has been a few years, and like i said, i def wasnt that great in gen chem when i was taking it. organic was much easier for me.

so i suppose i have formulated a plan and will def set it into gear, using chad's videos of course! thank you guys SO MUCH for that info.

random. but can i just say...the Pre-Dent board is a LOT friendlier than the Pre-MD board lol. dont know if you know this (i have posted it a few times) but i started out as pre-med. anywayyyy, you guys just seem so much more helpful and friendly. seriously. :D

random. but can i just say...the Pre-Dent board is a LOT friendlier than the Pre-MD board lol. dont know if you know this (i have posted it a few times) but i started out as pre-med. anywayyyy, you guys just seem so much more helpful and friendly. seriously. :D

from my personal experience with the med and dent students, totally agree

i attempted to just do the destroyer probs today in gen chem. not so great of an idea. i really need more of a review because it has been a few years, and like i said, i def wasnt that great in gen chem when i was taking it. organic was much easier for me.

so i suppose i have formulated a plan and will def set it into gear, using chad's videos of course! thank you guys SO MUCH for that info.

That's cuz we have a life! Pre-dents FTW!

wondering how many times people usually go over the destroyer...

Most people say about three times, but I think it depends on how comfortable you are with the material.

Twice is probably enough provided that you make notes of any mistakes and put them down on notecards or something.

For gchem, I said over and over again because the OP said he was rusty with gchem. The gchem has a lot of computation problems and doing computations over and over is a good way to work on your accuracy.

holla j-rockity, you gonna blow this thing outta the water, don't freak - i read up and reviewed that kaplan book, little by little for about a month before i cracked open the destroyer and practice tests.

i think dent students friendlier because med school students are more 'wham-bam-thank you ma'am' than dent school students. we like the small talk and chit-chat before we get all up in your mouth. you can't just jump on and get down and dirty- that's how lawsuits get started, and dent students have better manner and sense than that. too many doctors have the stamina and tools, but they suck (heh...that's a pun) at the 'getting-to-know-you' part... dent students have all that and the wherewithall to put it all together.

Use the Kaplan BB and destroyer, they are both invaluable for practice and I know you'll get in! Just seriously, practice practice. I looked at your predents site and your stats look good as long as you can get a matching DAT score :) Getting on a good sleep schedule well in advance of your actual exam also makes everything so much easier. Where have they been hiding the other cute pre-dental girls like you!? ;)

agreed, Chad's video's are absolutely amazing. They aren't boring either, I actually ENJOY studying genchem, its what i look forward too LOL!

All cause of Chad, such an amazing prof.

Agree completely

we like the small talk and chit-chat before we get all up in yo mouf.

Fixed for vernacular consistency :laugh:

sorry that post made me lol